Chapter 9

"So this Gretchen Beauchamp says she's a magical girl huh?" Kalina turned her head away from her screen to see Zero sitting on her bed eating a bag of popcorn, a scowl written clearly on her face.

After Kalina was saved from that horde of demons Zero found Kalina conversing with Greta and she at first was somewhat well mannered but Kalina could tell that she was a bit off. Once Zero and Kalina returned back to Nora's building the white haired Demi-God explained that she did not trust "Greta" at all.

"But why don't you trust her exactly?", Kalina wondered as Zero put the popcorn to the side.

"It's probably hard for you to understand but the whole magical girl thing is a dangerous game. The fact that she showed up to save you is suspicious. She could've been after the demons the entire time and watched you from afar and only jumped in to gain your trust. Plus I looked into this Gretchen Beauchamp and there's no info on her whatsoever."

Kalina raised her eyebrow in both shock and intrigue. "What do you mean 'no info whatsoever?"

"Exactly as I said", Zero began. "Her school records her identity it's all forged, none of it real, I've asked my supernatural contacts and even they haven't heard of this Gretchen. And now what do you think that says about her?", Zero asked her voice getting dangerously low.

Kalina sat quiet for a moment the red from the Bayonetta menu screen melding perfectly with Kalina's crimson hair. "Hey Zero, what day is it?"

Zero's eyes turned into a weird combination between shock and confusion. "It's the 30th of April, why?" Kalina smiled, this one more sad then others. "Then today's my birthday."

Zero blinked. "Your serious!?" Zero sputtered getting up from the bed. Kalina just shrugged. "I mean yeah but I don't see what the big deal--", "then we absolutely must celebrate your birthday and I know just how", Zero cheered whilst interrupting Kalina.

The white haired Demi-God snapped her fingers and in a flash of shimmering light a large book bag fell into Kalina's lap. "Pack several changes of clothes and whatever else you may need, and don't ask questions." Normally the crimson haired girl wouldn't mind listening to Zero but this was strange even though it wasn't the weirdest thing Zero's done.

Following the white haired Demi-God's orders Kalina packed her things to find Zero transforming into her strange magician outfit. I really have to ask Zero about how she got that, Kalina noted as she went down to Nora's room to tell her she'd spend sometime at Zero's house.

At first Nora was skeptical but she finally gave in. "Alright then, but call me as soon as you get there, mind your manners, please don't send anyone to the hospital, and call me before you go to bed!" Kalina could only laugh at Nora's words. "Of course, and no promises on that hospital bit!" Kalina shouted quickly and ran upstairs to her room before Nora could say anything else.

Once back in the room Kalina first took notice of the glowing blue spectral sword that the crimson haired girl remembered Zero first used that allowed them to escape that demon pocket dimension. "Hey Zero, was that portal opening skill something you could always do or something you were taught?"

"Let's just say a close friend of mine taught me this trick, but right now we have more pressing matters", she began as she sliced a hole through time and space, a portal of swirling magical energy and pulsing light engulfed the room.

"And just where are we going?" Kalina asked quizzically as she walked up the portal. Zero flashes Kalina a cocky grin. "To the Bayonetta universe my friend." Kalina's eyes widened with surprise before Zero pushed the crimson haired girl into the portal Zero jumping in after her screaming something like "Henshin a go-go baby!"