Chapter 8

Kayla's POV

So Bryan said that it was fine if I tried out for dance. He said as long as I still go to group on the weekend then its fine. I texted Chris to let him know that I was staying after.

It wasn't a lot of girls trying out. It was at least 9 of us so that meant 3 of us were gonna get cut. 

"Alright girls so the way try outs are gonna work is you're gonna show us a dance that we teach you, and we will judge you on how well you can perform the dance. The song we picked is Get Up by Ciara. It's not that difficult. All we want you guys to do is have fun and try your best." Maria expressed. I tied my hair into a high ponytail and stretched while she was going over the dance terms.

"Okay let's get started." she said smiling. As she was teaching us the dance I saw Chris and his friends and Antonio and Jayden walk into the gym sitting on the stage. I made eye contact with Chris and he smiled at me. I turned my attention back to Maria.

"Okay so now that you know the dance you can show it to us. Don't feel nervous okay? We are gonna go one by one." Aaliyah explained. 

"How come they are watching?" A girl asked pointing to where the boys were.

"They're my brothers and their friends. Don't pay attention to them." Maria said. The girl nodded. I was the last one to audition because everyone else had to get to the after school bus. 

"Okay Kayla you're up." I nodded standing up. Jayden looked at me and winked. The music started and I started dancing.

(See the dance routine in the media.)

When I finished dancing they all clapped for me. 

"That was amazing!" Adrien said. "It really was." Aaliyah said. Maria nodded in agreement smiling at me. I smiled back thanking them. I walked over to the stage to grab my bag.

"Aye yo you killed it." Jayden said walking over to me. I smiled at him.

"Thank you" 

"Maria are you ready?" Chris asked her. She nodded and ran over to us. 

"Alright man I'ma drop them off and I'll see you at the studio." Chris said to Trey. 

"Alright deuces." They did their handshake or whatever and we all walked out.

"Are we giving Jayden a ride?" Chris asked Antonio. He shook his head no.

"Nah his mom is here." Chris nodded. We all got into his car and went home. 

I'm not really worried about making the team. I mean it would be nice, but I like dancing alone. It calms my anxiety. 

We pulled up at their house.

"Alright tell mama I'll be back before dinner. I just need to finish a song."  Chris said. Antonio nodded and him and Maria went inside.

"You sing?" I asked.

"Yep and dance. I make a song with a dance with it every week and perform it at the school every Friday." He explained. I looked at him in awe.

"Except the dance that I have in mind is a duet and I don't have anyone to help me." He said rubbing his head.

"Why don't you ask Claire?" I asked rolling my eyes at her name. He smirked.

"I would but she can't dance for shit." I laughed.

"Would you mind helping me?" He asked looking at me with hopeful eyes. 

"I don't know. Your girlfriend might think you're cheating with me again." I smirked. He gave me a straight face.

"Okay yeah I guess I can help you." I said. He smiled.

"Thank you so much." I nodded 

"Well when I get back I can teach you the dance." I nodded again and got out of the car. I ran my hands through my hair walking to the front door. I walked inside shutting and locking the door.

"How was try outs?" Alana asked me coming downstairs.

"It was good." I said putting my bag on the hook. She smiled.

"I'm glad you're getting involved in some activities." I nodded.

"So we got you a bed. I set it up in Maria's room. You can go upstairs to see it if you want." She said. I nodded walking upstairs. Maria's door was wide open. I walked in, but knocked letting her know I was here. She looked at me and smiled a bit. Her room was not like a room I've ever stayed in. It was nice though. Our beds were on opposite walls facing each other.

"Me and the girls decided that you made the team." She said looking at me. I smiled a little.

"Thanks. I didn't expect to make it to be honest." I said honestly.

"Why not? You were amazing." She said

"Thank you." I said smiling. 

"I cleared some closet space for you and I cleared the other side of the dresser for you." I smiled. We are finally getting somewhere.

"Thank you." She smiled back at me.

"Maria, Kayla! Dinner" Alana called up to us. We both went downstairs.

"What's for dinner?" Maria asked when we entered the kitchen.

"I made steaks and macaroni." We sat down after we made our plate.

"So how was your first day Kayla?" Alana asked.

"It was good. I actually got invited to go to this beach get together on Friday night." 

"Wait are you talking about Caleb's get together?" Antonio asked.

"Yeah." I said nodding.

"I will talk it over with Michael after dinner and let you know" I nodded. After we finished dinner I offered to do the dishes. It's the least I could do since they are really nice to me.

"You didn't have to do this." Alana said.

"I know, but I wanted to. Thank you again for taking me in Alana." I said drying my hands. She smiled.

"You welcome love." She said before she went upstairs. I finished putting the dishes away and went upstairs to Maria's room. I grabbed my sketchbook from my bag and sat on my bed. I thought back to our art assignment. We had to draw a picture of what caused us pain. I bit my lip and started drawing.