Part 38 - 30th July 1970 (cont'd)

Start from the beginning

It was during some early morning fun with the boys that Lucy answered a telephone call from Daniel. After listening to what he wanted to say, Lucy returned to Paul and the children, a frown on her face.

"Who was that sweetheart?" asked Paul, seeing her expression.

"It was dad."

"Oh?"

"Yes, he sounded..." she paused.

"Lucy?"

"He sounded really... anxious. He wants me to go round as soon as I can. He wants to talk to me." She looked at Paul, "You don't think he's ill, do you?"

Paul stood up and went to her. "Look, instead of getting worked up, why don't you go round now and see him. I'll stay here with the boys. OK?"

Lucy nodded. "I will. Thanks love."

"Ring me if you need me."

"I will."

"Dad!" Lucy called as she let herself into the house.

"Hello love!" Daniel greeted her warmly and hugged her. "How are you?"

"Worried about you dad!" she replied, "It was a very mysterious phone call!"

Daniel took her hand and led her into the living room.

"Well, what's wrong?" she asked, still holding her father's hand.

"There's nothing wrong Lucy, I promise. I wanted to tell you some news."

"Oh?"

"You know how I have always loved your mum don't you? How that has never changed in all the time she has been dead?"

Lucy nodded.

"Well, the thing is Lucy, since you've grown up and married Paul and started your own family, well I've found myself feeling quite lonely at times."

"I can see that dad."

"Anyway, rather unexpectedly, I've met someone Lucy. She's a lovely woman, similar age to me. A widow with grown up children of her own. And I'd like to think that I'd have your blessing to consider a serious and very possibly a long term commitment to her."

"By 'commitment' do you mean possibly marrying this woman dad?"

He nodded. "But only if it wouldn't upset you. I'm not trying to replace your mum!"

Lucy smiled. "Dad, if you've met someone then good for you. You devoted yourself to me the whole time I was growing up without mum. You deserve some happiness and love for yourself!"

"Thank you sweetheart!"

"So when do I get to meet her and introduce her to Paul and the boys?"
"You already know her Lucy love. You all do."

"Oh?"

"It's Rose."

"Rose? You mean our Rose?"

Daniel nodded. "Is that OK?"

"Oh dad, I adore Rose already! As does Paul and the boys! I can't think of anyone better suited for each other than the pair of you!" she hugged her dad hard. "I'm so pleased for both of you! Can I tell Paul when I get home?"

"Of course," Daniel replied smiling, then he looked serious again, "Are you sure you're happy about it though love?"

"Yes dad!" Lucy hugged him again, "I'm very happy! We're you really that worried about telling me?"