Chapter 12

(This song is the best. You must listen!!)

And now is the moment I regret meeting Philip.

We're sitting across each other, him nervously forcing his eighth roll in his mouth while I have barely poked my meatloaf in return. We are both kind of staring at the ground, or at each other. Whereas Alexander Hamilton is sitting to my right, glaring at my father. Papas at my left, glaring at Alexander. Overall, not good.

It all started the moment they got there, pure awkwardness dripping from the rooftop. I gently pulled the door back, smiling wildly as the three walked inside.

"Here, let me take your coats." I say politely, holding my hands open as Mr and Mrs Hamilton dump their fancy coats into my arms. When it comes to Philip, I pull a tight smile. "Ac- Philip, Philip. Mind helping me put the coats away upstairs?"

Taking the hint, Philip nods. Before we turn to the steps, my father opens the kitchen door with a broad, elastic, and totally fake smile.

"Alexander, Elizabeth, how you two?" He shakes hands with Alexander, hugging Elizabeth and kissing her cheek.

"Oh Aaron, you know to refer to me as Eliza. Elizabeth is far too formal for my liking." She laughs, and the group laughs along. They continue small chatter, and I take this as our cue to leave upstairs. With my foot on the first step, I cringe hearing my father speak.

His voice turns colder, full of spite, as he addresses Philip. "Philip Hamilton, right?" He asks him, Philip nods and shakes Papa's hand with a grin.

"Hello Mr Burr, it's a pleasure meeting you." Philip says smoothly, "Theodosia has raved about you."

"All good things I hope, I thought you two barely knew each other." This was more of a statement rather a question, but I was grateful to see Philip's immediate understanding towards my lie.

"Why of course, we haven't known each other for long. But upon our last meeting, she talked about her love for her father." Philip smiles, "I knew she could only be talking about you, good sir."

"Hm, yes. I'll show the guests to the kitchen. Are you helping Theodosia with the coats?" Papa asks, lips pursed.

"Yes." He answers bluntly.

"Hurry, children."

"Of course Papa, let's go Philip." I meekly smile.

We rush up the stairs, into the guest bedroom. I lay each coat out onto the bed in order for it to not wrinkle, and sigh at my father's pure stupidity.

"Your father is.. interesting." He states, not knowing what to say.

"He's a jealous and spiteful man, but he has a good heart. Now, I need to tell you the lie I told him." Philip nods. "So, this morning I said I just met you. We talked and said our parents should resolve issues to in order to help their careers. That's why you're invited."

"Okay," Philip nods once again in agreement, and a puzzled look comes across his face. "How are we going to convince them we're a couple? You might need to kiss me."

Heat creeps to my cheeks, but I just nod, fully agreeing. "For that sake, I will. But no other time. Are we good?"

Ace nods, kissing my cheek and walking out. Leaving me a sputtering mess, I trot after him. We arrive in the dining room, where everyone has taken their seats. Philip slides next to his mother, leaving a seat across from him.

"I'll go get dinner," I smile.

"Dear, why don't I help you with that?" Mrs Hamilton says, and I immediately turn her offer down.