FORTY-EIGHT: HOPE

It was happening. The Chamberlain's were hosting a barbeque. They had decided the night prior, sitting at the dinner table, discussing the weather.

"The forecast is sunny and humid all week," Joana said.
"Perfect weather in my opinion." Gabriel responded.
"We should do something."
"Go to the Campbell's cottage, perhaps?"
"Something closer."
"We could host a barbeque?"
Joana's face lit up. "Oh, and we could invite all of the neighbors. And Hope's new friend and her family."
"I'll pick up veggies burgers this week."
"Oh, it will be splendid!"

And so it was set. This Sunday, the fourteenth of August, the Chamberlains would host a barbeque, and nearly everyone would be in attendance.

The morning of, Hope hurried around the kitchen, scrambling with paper plates and utensils, counting out napkins and trying to organize the serving bowls. The people of Meadow loved potluck style events. Everyone enjoyed chipping in and contributing something. But still, there was much work that needed to be done in preparation of the barbeque.

The Chamberlain's house was ideal to host this sort of event because they had a very large yard. It was a corner lot, so the backyard stretched into a large triangle, going farther back until the fence reached the woods.

Joana was cleaning out the kitchen and preparing food. Gabriel was in the backyard flipping veggie burgers and buns. Service finished around noon that morning, so Gabriel came home straight away and got to work, knowing how much preparation this would involve.

Joana had invited the Everett's. Hope was both excited yet nervous for Faith and her family to come. It wasn't necessarily that she didn't want her family to see Faith, but she had the slight irrational fear that they would somehow know. One look at the two of them together and everyone would realize the sin they were committing, as though it were as obvious as chocolate on the face.

Guests began to arrive around one-thirty. First were the Hawkins' family. They came with a potato salad and mushroom gravy. Each family that arrived thereafter would come to the front door, smiling and holding out a plate or large bowl in front of them.

Faith and her family didn't arrive until shortly after two. Joana ushered them inside and found them a seat in the backyard, taking the tray of hummus and salsa that Claudia had prepared.

Hope was so busy running back and forth between the backyard and the kitchen that she didn't even notice Faith come in behind her. The glass door closed and Hope spun around.

"Hi," Faith smiled.
Hope looked around, even though the kitchen was empty. "What are you doing?"
"Saying hello," she took a step towards Hope.
"Not now," Hope stepped backwards.
Faith's expression changed.
"You know I don't mean it like that," Hope whispered. She looked around again. "Meet me upstairs in ten minutes. Okay?"
Faith nodded once, then headed back outside.

Hope finished what she was doing in the kitchen, then returned to the backyard. Everyone was smiling, talking, and laughing. This was how her family thrived. Helping people. Hosting events. Communicating with one another. They lived for this sort of thing. They loved the feeling of family and community. And in Meadow, this was who their family was.

Hope checked her watch and excused herself, making her way inside the house and up the stairs. She pushed open her bedroom door and saw Faith sitting at her desk, flipping through the new notebook she received for her birthday.

"Hey," Hope said, walking towards her.
Faith closed the book and looked up at her. Hope leaned down and kissed her.
Faith smiled and leaned back. "That's better."
Hope laughed and sat on her bed. "How are you?"
"Fine," Faith said, crossing one leg over the other. "How are you?"
"Good. Today is such a great day. Everyone is so happy out there."
"Ugh, don't remind me."
"Your mom seems to be in a good mood. I see she brought the new guy."
"Tom," Faith said. "Yeah, he's not bad."
"Seems nice."
"He is, I guess."
"Did you try any of the food yet?"
"A little bit. I'm not too hungry."
"You have to try the pasta-salad that Karen Johnston made. It's to die for."
"Okay," Faith laughed. "What are you doing later?"
"How much later?"
"Tonight."
"Nothing, I don't think. We're probably just doing this all day. Then everyone will clear out in a few hours and we'll clean up and such."
"Okay. Let's go to the lake."
"Tonight?"
"Yeah."
"Okay. I'll call your house when I'm finished here."
"Sounds good."

They headed back downstairs, to the backyard. Faith's mother and Tom were standing around the table, chatting with Hope's parents and a few other couples.

"There they are," Gabriel motioned to the girls.
"Hi," Hope smiled. Faith lagged behind.
"Oh, this is your daughter?" one of the men said, gesturing towards Faith.
"That's her," Claudia smiled.
"I've seen you around," the man said. "You're always down by the lake."
"Yeah," Faith said.
"I'm Greg," he stuck out his hand.
Faith hesitated, then shook it. "Faith."
"And that's my son, Michael," Claudia pointed towards the chairs where Mike sat with a few of the guys.
The adults continued to converse and Faith turned to Hope. "I'm going to get some food," she whispered. "Be right back."
Hope watched her go off towards the table.
"So what's it like," Helen Thompson said to Claudia. "Moving from a fairly big town to a small place like Meadow."
"It was definitely a change," Claudia said. "I discovered Meadow a few years ago, by chance. It was quite serendipitous, actually, and I fell in love. And then when everything happened..." she faded off. "Well, I just had this feeling that Meadow would be the perfect place to relocate."
"And your children," Hank said. "Do they love it?"
Claudia turned and looked at Mike, then her eyes found Faith, wandering around the food table. "I believe so. It took some adjusting, but I think they're quite happy here."
"Oh without a doubt," Hope piped up. "Faith absolutely adores Meadow."
Everyone smiled, but it was Hope who was laughing inside.