Chapter 41

"Hey, how's it going?"

Perched on the cement stairs leading down from Diosa's back entrance, sheltered from the rain by a tattered canopy, Katie made her usual mid shift call to the nanny Marie.

"Uh, I'm good," she chuckled awkwardly. "What's up?"

"Nothing just checking in on the baby," she said as she sipped her Jack and coke.

"I'm not with her," Marie said nervously. "Didn't you get my message? When I got to your house Jax was waiting for me outside," she explained. "He said he was just going to stay and that I could go home."

"He did?" Katie's stomach churned. It didn't feel right. "Okay. Uh thanks." She ended the call abruptly and immediately dialed Jax.

"Hey," he said cheerfully.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing," he was cool and calm. "We're having a good time so I figured I'd give Marie the day off."

"I-" she stammered. She wanted to rage but Katie had no real reason to aside from her own control freak tendencies when concerning Charlie. "Umm," she tried to settle herself. "Okay. How is she?"

"She's great," he chuckled. "She took a bottle and fell back to sleep."

"Good," Katie laughed. "Okay. Uh, well, I'm glad you're spending more time with her."

"I missed her," he admitted.

Katie smiled at that and the sincerity in his voice eased her anxiety and anger. "She is pretty great."

"Kate," Nero called from inside the building. "You can head out. Nothing's going down tonight, the rain is gonna wash us out."

She glanced up and nodded, "K. Thanks."

"You're coming home?" Jax asked, peeking out into the living room to see Tara holding Charlotte so Abel could see her.

"Yeah, it's been dead, Nero probably wants to save the money on payroll. I'm not cheap," she chuckled.

"Alright," he was already silently working to gain Tara's attention. "I'll see ya soon."

Jax tossed his phone on the table and headed back into the living room. "She's coming home early," he announced. "You gotta go, Tara."

"Okay," she didn't fight it but her disapproval was clear. "You'll be right home?"

He nodded, the guilt creeping up on him, "Yeah."

Tara hugged him tight, kissing his lips sweetly, before gathering her things and the boys to head home. Diosa wasn't far so he had little time to wait once Tara left.

"Hey," Katie stepped into the house with a smile. "How was she?"

"An angel," Jax smirked. "If I knew babies were so easy I woulda helped Tara more."

"Mm hmm," she rolled her eyes. "Don't let her hear that shit, Teller."

"We good?" He looked at her with sad eyes as she scooped up Charlotte. "I don't want shit between us to screw up anything for Charlie."

"As long as lines are respected we're good, Jax."

He nodded and kissed her cheek. "You got it darlin'."

"I was going to order take out if you want to stay?" The offer was genuine and Jax wanted to stay but he knew Tara was waiting for him.

"I'm good, have Hap come by," Jax suggested.

"Yeah I'm gonna call him," she closed her eyes and kissed Charlie's forehead. "She's so perfect isn't she?"

He nodded, "Yeah, she is."