3 - Warm Welcomes

Start from the beginning

If only I hadn’t overreacted…

The depressing nature of the building was proof that my life was officially over.

When the car stopped, Mr. Brighton prevented me from getting my bags and instead directed me over to the dark gray door of a stout white building. I followed closely behind him into a linoleum-lined hallway lit up by flickering fluorescent lights. I clutched at my elbows. This building was so unattractive; it was starting to give me the heebie jeebies. I mean just how insane were all the people here? Should I fear for my life?

I bit my lip as Mr. Brighton turned the key in a grayish blue door and ushered me into a small room. My heart started pounding wildly as I took in a group of motley teenagers sitting in a circular formation of chairs.

“Hello,” Mr. Brighton smiled, “This here is Ally. She’ll be joining us today.”

The rest of the teens glared at Mr. Brighton and eyed me unappreciatively. A couple rolled their eyes, one scoffed.

I gulped.

Would now be an appropriate time to run? My legs tensed as Mr. Brighton lightly shoved me forward towards an empty chair, right between two large, imposing guys.

My heart practically stopped in my chest, but I edged myself forward, looking down self-consciously as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

I tucked my skirt under me carefully as I took as seat, being sure to smooth it out. While crossing my ankles, I rested my hands in my lap as I waited for Mr. Brighton to speak.

However, before he got a word out, another man came in and whispered something in his ear. Mr. Brighton’s eyebrows shot up before he turned to us.

“Well I have some other business to attend to for a few moments. You guys all know the drill. Socialize,” he commanded as he stepped out of the room, leaving us alone.

I gulped again.

I surveyed the group and saw that most of the people were uninterested and paid me little to no attention.

The room was bathed in silence. Nervously I wrung my hands together in my lap and began tapping my foot in the air.

As I was doing this, I kept my eyes carefully trained away from anyone else in the room in order to avoid awkward eye contact. I heard a cough next to me.

I quickly turned my head to see the guy on my right glaring at me, “Would you quit it?” He growled.

“W-what?” I stuttered.

“Stop the tapping for shit’s sake.”

I narrowed my eyes as I felt a flash of anger. “Sorry, I didn’t know it was a crime,” I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest.

“You wanna start something, new girl?”

I raised an eyebrow. The guy speaking was decked out in a Metallica t-shirt and sported a variety of bracelets across his arm. His eyebrow, ears and lip were pierced and I could see a tattoo snaking around his neck. He was large and muscular like someone out of my gang.

He looked like trouble.

In fact, he reminded me a little bit of Caden, but much more extreme as far as features went. That, and the fact that this guy’s hair was Jet black, not blond.

I turned away from him quickly though, not wanting to bother with a fight. I didn’t want any psychos for enemies, thank you very much.

“You gonna answer me?”