3 - Warm Welcomes

Start from the beginning

His brown eyes widened fractionally as he cleared his throat. “Uhh…Yes…I believe so. You’re on your way to Black Mountain?” He asked a bit incredulously, as if it was a shock that I had manners and a “cheery” disposition.

“Yep,” I smiled brightly again. Like I said, I’d be out of here in no time. I could play the system as easily as Mozart could play the piano. My parents never suspected a thing until the day they got the call from the police…

I was a master at disguise.

I followed the man out to a car and moved into the back seat at his request while he talked with another person outside for a few moments. Unable to see the second figure from where I was sitting, I examined my hands. Scabs still curled around my palm, down to my fingers, still a bit sensitive to the touch.  

I looked up when I heard the sound of the car door opening. A new guy climbed into the back and smiled up at me, extending his hand, “Hello my name is Mr. Brighton, and I’m one of the school administrators.”

“Nice to meet you- I’m Ally.” I returned his smile in full force.

“So from what I’ve heard, you are what we call a hard case,” he informed me frankly, his light eyes sparkling.

“What?” I frowned, making sure my voice broke, and my eyes remained wide. The picture of innocence.

He chuckled. “Give up the act, Ally. That’ll just hold you back here.”

“I don’t understand…”

“I’ve poured through all your records and except for the incident that’s sending you here, they’re spotless. Your grades are perfect. No criminal record. Not even a sighting of being out past curfew. There’s nothing on paper that indicates there’s anything wrong. From what I can see, you dress conservatively, and haven’t had any major problems with authority figures, or bad friends. Your parents and other family members were completely in the dark that there was anything up, meaning that you’re an expert at hiding who you really are.”

“So you’re saying that I’m being fake?” I made sure my voice squealed up a notch, as if the suggestion was insulting.

“No, I’m saying that you’re acting this way to get what you want. Right now I’m betting you want out of this joint as quickly as possible. You’re just playing the part.”

“I know it may look like that. But, I’ve realized how serious drugs can be. I mean, it was only my second time and I…I almost…killed my best friend. I just want to get better.” My lip quivered and I let water make my eyes glisten. His face was expressionless, giving me no clue as to whether or not he believed my lie.

“Ally, I’m not saying that you aren’t going home. I’m just letting you know ahead of time that we’re aware that you’re a compulsive liar and we’re not letting our guard down for a second. Black Mountain is not just some ‘get out of jail free card’.”

“Of course, Mr. Brighton, I’d never think of it that way.” The side of my mouth twitched down; I didn’t appreciate warnings.

“Great. Then we should get along perfectly.”

Perfectly my ass. I smiled widely at him before inconspicuously turning to look out the window at the passing trees.

The car ride was a long one.

Hours later, we pulled up to a cement establishment so somber even my parents would have approved.

It was plain, ugly, and promised that this would be a long, uneventful year.