The Proposal

A surprise was waiting in store for the Deryn children when they woke. A surprise in the form of their father's announcement.

"We're going to the Assassin's Ball tonight."

Reyna blinked. "Assassins have balls...?"

Ruby grinned. "Do we get to kill anyone?" She asked, earning a chop on the head from her mother.

"Of course not, dummy." Millicent scowled, glaring intently at her daughter before she remembered which one she was dealing with. "No killing anyone. In fact, you need to be on your best behaviour."

"But my best behaviour involves-"

Rogue patted her sister's fluffy white hair, smiling in contentment. "Our parents want us to stay under the radar, silly." She said, ignoring the looks she was getting from her sisters as she continued to pet Ruby's hair. "Some of the best assassins from across Loquin will be there."

"Which is why you have to act like normal kids." He sighed, handing them all out a dress each. "Tonight, you aren't assassins. You're normal teenagers."

Reyna's shoulders sunk. "Boring."

"And just for that comment, you get to stick with Ruby for the entire time." Her father smiled, his eyes closed. "I'm sure that'll be exciting enough for you."

"Sadistic git."

His smile widened. "What was that?"

"Not-"

"Yay!" The white-haired sibling grinned, engulfing her sister in a massive hug, cutting her off mid-sentence. "I get to spend more time with Rey-Rey!"

"Have fun, Rey." Rogue said, her other hand finding it's way into her youngest sibling's black hair, her eyes narrowing. "Are you using a new conditioner?" She tilted her head. "Your hair's nearly as soft as Rube's..."

"Rogue!" Lillian jumped on her older sister's back. "Stop fondling their hair. It's creepy."

"You're just jealous." Blaise sighed, folding her arms, looking away from the bunch.

"Hypocrite."

"Hmph."

"Stop being shy, Blay." Her mother said, clapping her on the back, not noticing as the girl nearly keeled over. Their mother had no idea how to hold back her strength – hence her nickname. "They're your sisters."

"Well-"

A smile formed on the woman's face, eyes closed – a sight that made the entire Deryn Household freeze. "Go ahead, Blaise."

"You're scary, mum... You know that, right?"

"Of course, dear." She grinned, teeth showing, her eyes cracking open ever so slightly. "I am an assassin, y'know?"

"I think we'd best let the kiddies get ready." Their father placed both hands on his wife's shoulders, smiling sweetly at her.

Which would've been nice, had it not been for the killing intent radiating off both parents.

"Oh really?" Millicent smiled. "I was just trying to get Blaise to warm up to her siblings."

"She shows her affection in her own special way." Jason said, tightening his grip, freezing when a hand grabbed at the fabric of his crotch.

"OK, siblings." Rogue placed a hand over Reyna's and Ruby's eyes. "Let's go and leave mummy and daddy to their business."

"Hn." Blaise muttered, clamping her hand over the middle sister's eyes, dragging a reluctant Lillian away, leaving their father to fend for himself against the wrath of the dragon.

***

Screams could be heard from the Deryn House, coming from a certain girl's room as her sisters held her down, the eldest trying to force a dress over their white-haired sibling's head. "I'm not wearing that!" Ruby hissed, scowling at her oldest sister. "No matter how much I might enjoy this situation..." She added on at the end rather breathlessly.

"Tch." Blaise scowled, looking away. "Just shut up and wear the stupid dress."

"How about this..." Lillian let go of her sister's crossed legs. "Wear the dress and the wig for the night, and I'll help you steal back the..." She trailed off, her voice barely audible, but Ruby's sharp ears still heard. "...mum confiscated from you."

Rogue froze. "Are you serious?!" She pulled the middle child away. "You know what she does with-"

"Yes." Lillian's cheeks flushed bright red. "But this is an emergency!" She said, looking like she could fry an egg of her face. "Can't you see how... flustered... she's getting...?"

"Just go with it." Blaise scowled, letting go of the arm she was holding.

Ruby had the dress on before anyone could blink, her long white hair neatly pinned up. A mass of brown hair fell in front of her face, covering her white eyebrows which hadn't been spared by the brown tint their middle sibling had applied. It couldn't be helped, though. They were about to go into a roomful of assassins who weren't supposed to know her natural hair colour was white. Blaise, ever the perfectionist, had even found a way to darken the tiny hairs on her arms. It was official. Ruby Deryn was a brunette.

"Don't look so sad." Reyna elbowed her older sister, wearing replica of her dress in her usual colour: black. "The white dress suits you even better now."

"I hate dresses."

Rogue sighed deeply, staring down at her. "Just bear with it for tonight."

"Fine."

"Come on." Rogue lifted the skirts of her silvery grey dress. "Dad and mum are already in the car waiting for us."

"Good point." Blaise mumbled, walking past her siblings, the green dress flaring as she walked out of the door. "You know how mum gets if you make her wait too long."

"Come on, you two." Lillian sighed, smoothing out her pale blue dress, proceeding to grab her two younger siblings by the ear.

"Oww!"

"Get off, Lil!"

"Hmm..." Lillian tilted her head. "How about no?"