[18]

SKIN DEEP
eighteen | fear

Imogen was barely holding on, the pain filtering throughout her body

Imogen was barely holding on, the pain filtering throughout her body. She was writhing and very close to blacking out from the pain. She knew what was happening and she knew that the pain would be over soon, but it seemed as though it never would, that this pain would be all she would feel for the rest of her life, a black bottomless whole with no escape.

"IMOGEN!" came a shout-scream seconds after the door slammed shut, echoing throughout the whole ballet studio. Imogen turned her head slightly in the direction the scream of horror came from, but could barely make out the girl rushing towards her and falling on the floor besides her. 

She writhed, choking and coughing, eyes tearing up. She felt the touch of something on her hand and saw a hand come towards her face. She managed to choke out, "Bella?" while continue to cough up, pants escaping her mouth just as sweat was pouring down her, falling into her eyes. 

Bella just sat silent, her hand on the girls head, cradling the writhing girl in her hands, tears falling down her own face at the horrific display of what was happening before her. She saw the bite, and only assumed that the bite was the cause of the pain that Imogen was going through.

Laughter echoed around the ballet studio, alongside sharp cries and pants from Imogen. That's when Imogen felt Bella leave her quite forcefully. Her hand reached out and scraped across the wooden floor, but she couldn't move, could barely speak. The pain seemed to be slightly dimming, but it was still excrutiating and she couldn't move.

She could barely hear what was happening, but knew that James was frightening his prey due to sharp cries from Bella every other second. The cries would get closer before once again fading away. Imogen could see through her blurred eyesight that a shadow would continuosly try to run towards her before being thrown back by another. 

Bella was trying to get to Imogen and James would throw her back, letting her get closer to the girl each time before putting out the hope both Imogen and Isabella shared at each girl reaching each other. 

As the pain continued to dim, feeling continued to come back to Imogen and she could move a tiny bit more. But she knew that it was too late, too late for her to attempt to even do anything she possibly could to help Isabella escape the monster, when she heard Bella let out a scream, before she seemed to start panting herself.

Imogen turned her head as far as she could, managing to turn onto her stomach to see the crouched figure of James and the hunched over figure of Bella. He had bitten her. She was sagged against the mirrors, her body seeming to writhe, and pants continuously escaping her accompanied by groans.

"No!" Imogen attempted to shout, but it came out as a whisper. James turned his head suddenly in her direction, and Imogen just knew he had a grin on his face. 

"I honestly thought that you wouldn't survive. But, look at you already gaining strength," he tilted his head and stood, leaving Bella behind and taking slow steps towards Imogen, who was dragging herself towards him, towards Bella.