[17]

SKIN DEEP
seventeen | two for the price of one

"Jasper, what's going on?" Imogen mumbled out in the darkness of her own room, as arms unwrapped themselves from her once she was settled on the bed

"Jasper, what's going on?" Imogen mumbled out in the darkness of her own room, as arms unwrapped themselves from her once she was settled on the bed. He hadn't been expecting to hear her groggy voice and spun around to face her, his eyes scanning every inch of her to see if she was okay.

She was barely conscious. Her eyes were half-open, watching him with droopy hazel eyes. Jasper crouched besides her and reached forward cautiously, his hand coming to rest slightly on top of hers. His hands were freezing cold, but so was hers. "This is the safest place for you."

She blinked her eyes slowly, squinting, trying to keep them open but starting to fail to do so. "What's going on?" she repeated, her voice barely a whisper.

The hand that had laid to rest on top of hers squeezed her very small, dainty hand. "We're leaving. Only for a short while, until we can get that vampire, James off of our tracks."

Sadness clouded her. How long was a short while? How were they ever going to get the vampire off their tracks? But, she didn't voice them as she was sure that he knew she was thinking those anyway, and that she was also extremely exhausted and was close to falling to sleep. "How are you going to do it?"

Jasper sighed and stared down at her with his golden eyes. He looked like an angel in Imogen's eyes. It could be the delirious state she was in, or it could just be the golden hair and eyes shining in the darkness, but he was an angel in those seconds. "We'll find a way." He squeezed her hand one more time and stood, walking away as her eyes fluttered shut one last time. Standing at the doorway, he whispered, "You'll be safe. I promise."

***

"Wakey, wakey. Time to rise and shine," stated a calm voice that broke through the dream-state Imogen was in. She groaned and went to open her eyes, but struggled to do so because they were basically glued shut after the length of time they had been closed. 

As she struggled to un-clamp both of her eye's eyelids from one another, she confusingly ran her hand across hard floor and sucked in a sharp breath. It certainly wasn't her comfortable bed that she remembers Jasper delivering her to. 

Her heart-beat accelerated slightly and she gave her eyes a quick squeeze before forcing them open to find herself staring at the ceiling further up than what her bedroom's ceiling was. Turning her head to the right slightly, she found herself staring at herself splattered out on the hardwood floor of what appeared to be a ballet studio. Moonlight was shining throughout the whole room.