[04]

SKIN DEEP
four | gossip group

The moment that Imogen left the classroom, an arm was flung over her shoulder

The moment that Imogen left the classroom, an arm was flung over her shoulder. She had just suffered over an hour of sitting in a warm and surprisingly humid classroom, now she had a sweaty armpit resting on her shoulder. 

She halted, attempting to shrug off the arm of the complete stranger and continue walking, but the ambusher had different ideas. Instead, he tightened his arm around the back of her neck, his hand clutching onto the opposite shoulder. In a gleeful voice, one that hurt her ears due to how close his mouth was to her ear, he questioned, "Hey, you're Imogen King, right?"

Imogen knew that she couldn't dodge the social interaction and turned her head slightly in acknowledgment of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy who looked like a jock poser. "Obviously," she spat out, her tone coming out more venomous than she had intended. "Unless there's another Imogen King I don't know about."

The blonde chuckled in an awkward manner, obviously not expecting the innocent ill new girl to answer in such a way.

Imogen then began walking again, the squeaking of the wheels on her roller-bag surprisingly loud in the full corridor. But, she couldn't free herself of the boy even though his arm was now hanging down by his side and not over her shoulder. She thought that by her walking away that he'd get the picture and leave her alone, but he kept up the fast pace she was going at.

"I'm Mike, by the way." His tone still upheld the chipperness.

Imogen didn't look at the boy, but replied anyway. "Nice to know," she said sarcastically, but the Mike boy was still oblivious to the tone as he kept up with her long stride. She was already out of breath, but would keep going in attempt to get away from the boy who showed no sign of backing off.

Mike questioned her, curiosity underlying his tone, "So, what did you talk to Edward about?"

She looked over at him, raising an eyebrow at the question. Shrugging her shoulders, she replied, "Not much." Imogen came to a stop then, reaching out to open one of the double doors that would lead outside. She needed some fresh air and as it was lunch hour, she would be fine for a while before having to enter the humid building again. She couldn't believe that a town so cold would have extremely humid buildings. It must be all the sweaty bodies of teenagers altering the temperature.

Mike followed her outside which irritated her immensely. She wanted him to bugger off and go join his friends, if he had any that was. He seemed too annoying to have friends. Unless he was only annoying to her, which was a high possibility.

"Why are you following me?" she questioned the blonde boy. 

Then she felt stupid when he replied, and she realized just how rude she was being to someone who had only been nice (even if too nice), "I'm not following you. I'm going to the cafeteria which is that block right there." Mike pointed to the building block that was practically smack in front of them, one that was adorned with many glass windows. Imogen hadn't been heading to the cafeteria, she had been heading in the direction of the woods that was off to the side of the cafeteria block.