Chapter Thirty

We all stood there,  mostly in shock I think, until the Beta spoke up. "This is not happening." He groaned while the girl beside him smacked the back side of his head. "Shut up, Sorry I'm Melissa but everyone calls me Lyssa." She said extending her hand to me after adjusting the baby. I reached over to take it, "Abigail but everyone usually calls me Abi." I replied. "Well this is interesting to say the least, why don't we head to the office and we can discuss everything." Jaxon suggested. "I think.. I just need a minute." Luka mumbled before heading out the door. The baby began to fuss the minute he was gone. She tried to sooth her as Jaxon led us all to the office where we sat down. "Trey I assume that after this is over with youd like to discuss this personally but I want to let you know that my Beta is not the same boy you remember him as. I know things have been difficult between he and your pack but the within the last several months lots of things have happened and he is truly a changed man. I would appreciatie it if you and your mate would give him the benefit of the doubt." Jaxon said defending Luka and his past actions. "Of course we will right babe?" Lyssa said to him very sternly. I wanted to giggle at the two of them I could see myself really being friends with her, she seemed to challenge her mate. He nodded, "Alright. Shall we get down to business then? Whats been going on, Greyson said that there were threats against Maranda?" Jaxon asked. Trey sighed, "It started off with just notes small threats saying that they 'knew what she had done' and that she 'would be getting her punishment soon enough'." He started off saying. "It started to get a little more serious within the last month, she started getting packages that were dead animals and piles of dead animals were turning up in the yard." "Two weeks ago it got more dangerous and personal. Grey and Maranda are trying to have a pup so the doctor prescribed her some herbs to help, we found out that somone has been switching them with something that is damaging her uterus trying to ensure that she will never be able to have any children." Lyssa finished.  You could tell from the way she spoke that she and the Maranda girl were very close. And despite everything that had went on between she and Luka and what that led to with Mel, I hurt for her. I felt my throat start to tighten this was really happening and it hadn't even gotten to me yet. " I assume he has ruled out the doctor?" Jaxon asked next and I could nearly see the wheels turning in his head as he thought. "Sam would never hurt Maranda. Hes been the pack doctor since Greyson was a baby." Lyssa defended strongly. "Yeah hes been cleared, he was the first person we looked into. But its clear that there is a traitor in the pack if someone is getting close enough to switch out something she drinks everyday. Greyson pretty much has the pack on lockdown until we find out who it is." "Okay then if its someone inside your pack we might be dealing with a group of people Abi has never been to your pack so there isn't any reason for anyone there to be after her while staying inside your pack. Which means we could have a traitor as well." I could feel my resolve start to fade I was on the edge of freaking out. "I'm going to go check on Luka." I said suddenly nearly running out of the room. I couldn't stay in there any longer, I didn't need Jax knowing how much it was getting to me. Walking downstairs I saw that Luka was sitting on the porch. Opening the door I walked out and sat beside him. "What's wrong?" He asked automatically. "I needed a breather, this is all getting very real all of a sudden." I said leaving out any details about what had happened with Maranda. I wasn't sure how he would react. "I know your're scared. And I know that youre trying to stay strong for Jaxon and the pack but its okay to not be okay sometimes you know that right?" He questioned. I nodded. "So shes your mate?" I asked after a few seconds. "She is. My love life is just a shit storm huh?" I had to laugh. "There's a reason for that. Maybe the Moon goddess wants to give you time to get your life together. I mean you obviously are going to be waiting a while before you can actually be real mates.. I think its a good thing. She knows that you've had a rough go at things and this is her trying to help." I said telling him what I had thought. He smiled. "You're Luna is showing." He said. Surely I was blushing. Shrugging I said the truth. "You are a good guy and you deserve to be happy."

After Luka and I had finally went back inside it seemed they were done talking. Jaxon pulled me to him as soon as I had re entered his office. "Are you alright?" He questioned nearly having me in his lap. Trying to push away from him so I wasn't so close to sitting on him I replied. "I'm okay, things just got a little too much for me." He looked at me for a second as if he was trying to decide if I was telling the truth before nodding and letting me go. "We will give you some time to talk about everything and ill have someone prepare lunch for us all." He said standing. Leading me out of the room we went downstairs. "Look at me." Jax said once I leaned against the counter. "Are you sure you are alright?" I bit my lip chewing on it anxiously. "Its just bigger than I thought. Its not just me anymore and there is no telling how many they are actually after and we have no idea what to expect or when to expect it." I said. His face softened clearly seeing that I was indeed more scared than he had origionally thought. He brought his hand up to my face gently pulling away my lip. "I know but now that we have another pack we have a better chance at figuring this all out. We may not be able to stop whoever it is from taking you but we can figure out how to get you back."