Forty Five

"My babies aren't getting the flu shots and that's the end of this discussion." Melrose told the pediatrician, whom Dr. Lauren recommended oversee the children. She's supposed to be the best in Seattle, however Melrose is rethinking her judgement. The twins had come here for their vaccine shots and Dr. Brady is basically forcing the influenza shot on them and Melrose isn't here for it.

"Ms. Willoughby, this shot is dangerously important for the twins, especially with them being premature. They're more likely to get sicker than the average full-term baby. You'd want to make it your responsibility to ensure they are protected from viruses and other harmful sicknesses. I highly encourage you allow me to give them the shots."

She had gotten on Melrose's nerve for the very last time. "My children aren't getting the shots, Dr. Brady. That's my final answer. As a matter of fact, I don't trust you, so I'll be taking them elsewhere from now on because you're too persistent about this shot." Mel stood to her feet and proceeded to push the double stroller out of the door. Dr. Brady was calling out to her, but she kept going until she made it to the front of the office. This is there first and last visit.

"That was quick." Kelsi said as she stood up when Melrose came from the back. "I need to transfer my kids over here."

"Girl, please." Mel gave her a look and shook her head. "I am not bringing my babies back."

"Why?" Kelsi held the door opened for her.

"Thank you. The doctor here stepped over her boundary when it came to this damn flu shot. I told her upfront that my mind was made up and I refuse she gives it to them and this heifer constantly pushed me as if I'm gonna change my mind. She really pissed me off because she had the shots prepared already and had the audacity to pick one up, like she's saying, "fuck what you say about your kids. I'm gonna do it anyway." I wanted to slap those Mrs. Doubtfire glasses off her face." Mel ranted, as she put the babies in their car seats.

"She better be glad I wasn't back there. The police would be carrying me out in handcuffs."

"It took everything in me not to act up on her. Raine went to get his flu shot last week, now look at him. Laid up in bed, whining his ass off because he still caught the flu. I heard the shot makes it worse." Mel, pulled out onto the highway, heading to the park. Raine suggested she take the twins out for fresh air since they literally been stuck in the house since being released from the hospital.

"So have I, but there's a lot of myths floating around about the flu. My children get theirs every year and none of them has caught the flu more than one time. They get their shots faithfully."

"More power to you sister. I'm good on those things. I haven't had one since I was ten. Venus nipped that in the bud once she saw how many people were admitted in the hospital once they got the shot." She pulled into the parking lot and found a space closer to the shaded benches. "I do not want to be out here, today. Flu germs flying around and what not."

"We'll be alright. Let my God babies see something other than the inside of your house. They know y'all rich. Don't rub it in their faces."

The ladies exited the car, walking down the pathway next to the lake instead of sitting down the entire time. With it being May and the sun coming out of hiding, the park was filled with people of all ages. Fathers and uncles had brought out the grills, throwing down some rib backs and shrimp. Mothers and aunts were placing tin foil pans of foods on the table. Daughter and sons were out with other family's children, probably flirting or up to no good as teenagers always are and the little ones were having the time of their lives on the actually playground. For once it doesn't feel like Washington, but the dirty south, where family day in the park is the normal and happens often.