Twenty-Two

After two hours of sleeping, Raine and I went to the annual food festival since it was the last day. I never went to any of these festivals and community gatherings, but Raine insisted we get out of the house and mingle. I won't be mingling, but I'm tagging along for the ride. The streets were packed with locals and there weren't any parking spaces available. Raine had to drive three blocks away from the actual festival to find a spot.

"You've got to be kidding me." I complained, seeing how far we'd have to walk.

"Look at the bright side. It's not hot out today." Raine pointed out the obvious.

I nodded in agreement. "True. It's actually kind of chilly. My sweater came in handy after all." I fixed my sleeves to where my bandages were well covered.

Hand in hand, we sauntered up the sidewalk, working our way through the crowd. The air was filled with a mixture of sweet mouth watering aromas, causing my stomach to growl. Smoke from people grilling floated in the sky, creating their own clouds. Everyone was in high spirit--dancing singing and making friends with strangers. It amazed me how one simple gesture such as a smile or being well mannered to another could bring about something so beautiful. Something I thought didn't exist anymore. Humanity.

"Where do you want to eat from first?" Raine asked, practically yelling over the loud music.

"I don't know. I never come to these events." I responded as my eyes fell on a Korean food stand, making me tug on Raine's arm. "Oh, oh, oh! Let's go over there."

"Slow down Mel. It's not going anywhere." He pulled me back. His front side was now up against my backside and I felt his penis poking my butt. Wiggling out of his grip, I held his hand again and walked over to the stand. He had me feeling a way I haven't felt in five years and I definitely didn't want to go there with him this early. This year if I can control myself.

"Hello, how are you? Would you like to try some? The woman I'm assuming is the boss held up a small saucer displaying food I've never seen before.

"What is it?" I asked, taking the plate from her.

"Napa Cabbage Kimchi. It's Korea most popular dish." Nodding my head in approval, I used the chop sticks she provided and judged the food with my taste buds. On instinct I frowned at the pungent taste, but quickly covered my dislike for the dish. Raine noticed and dropped his head to keep the overly excited woman from seeing him laugh. He didn't try any because it didn't have any meat. He's a meat lover. "Good, good?"

I gave a tight lip smiled and nodded. "Delicious."

"You want more?" She tried to give me another saucer.

"No!" I yelled, startling her. "I mean, I'll stop by here before the day is over. Save me a plate, will you?"

"Of course. I save you a plate."

"Thank you. I'll be back." Before she could offer anything else, I swiftly walked away, disappearing in the crowd. I heard Raine laughing hysterically from behind me and I wanted to snatch his lips off. "I don't see the humor in this. That food was highly unacceptable."

"That's what's you get for being greedy." He chuckled, throwing his arm over my shoulder.

"I've learned my lesson." Still wiping my mouth with the sleeve of my shirt, Raine abruptly stopped walking, causing me to jerk back. Looking at him, he was staring off in the direction of another food stand, but from his hardened facial expression, he didn't want anything they were serving. I turned in the direction he was staring in and huffed when I saw exactly what caught his attention. The conniving backstabbing bitch, Bailey Preston. "You know her?"