Betrayal

Discord was taking a stroll through Ponyville, hoping to get his mind off things, when he saw Applejack running toward him.

"Whoa there, cowgirl!" Discord said, stopping her with his paw. "What's the rush?"

"Oh shoot," Applejack muttered under her breath.

Of all the folks she could bump into, it had to be him! She put on her best poker face, which was not very convincing.

"Oh, uh, howdy partner! I was just, uh...I have to, uh...I left the bath water runnin'! Yeah, I gotta get home, see? So, uh...bye!"

She thought she was free until the draconequus picked her up by the tail.

"Element of Honesty, huh?" he smirked. "So what's really troubling you, AJ?"

"Uh..." Applejack gulped. "I don't really wanna talk about it!" She started sweating. "Plus, it doesn't concern you!"

Discord shook his head in amusement. "You know I can always just peek into your head and discover what you're hiding?"

"No!" the cowgirl shouted, kicking her legs desperately. "You're not gonna like it!"

"Ooh! That juicy, huh? This is gonna be fun!"

"Discord, trust me on this! You don't wanna..."

"The more you say that, the more I do wanna!"

Applejack had no chance against the Lord of Chaos. He tapped his claw on her head and accessed her most recent memory. The scene shifted and he found himself standing beside Applejack in an alley. She stood there slack-jawed, staring intensely at something in front of her.

Discord looked in the pony's direction and soon his expression matched hers.

An orange stallion was pressing a mare against the wall, kissing her passionately. The mare had her forelegs around his neck as she returned his kiss with pleasure. Discord had never felt more disgusted about anything in his life.

For that mare was his wife.

"Fluttershy?" Applejack uttered.

The pegasus pushed the stallion away to look at the stunned cowgirl with those once innocent teal eyes. She rolled them in annoyance.

"Uh, hello?" she said in a tone that was very unlike her. "Do you mind?"

She was about to pull the stallion in again when Applejack cut between them.

"What is this?!" she demanded. "Who is this?! What about Discord?! And Screwball and Zany?!"

Fluttershy scoffed. "They'll be fine, so long as they don't find out. And if they do, they'll get over it."

Applejack could not believe it. "What's come over you?! Do ya have any idea what Discord will do if...?"

"Move aside, will you?" Fluttershy snapped, shoving her friend. "We were in the middle of something!"

Discord had seen enough and flashed back to reality. Applejack was still hanging from his paw. The shock in his face struck fear in her heart.

"I...I'm sorry!" she stammered. "I...I wanted to tell ya but...I didn't know how to..."

She yelped as he dropped her. She rubbed her head and sat up.

"Discord, are you...?"

The draconequus screamed as his body erupted into flames. In a few seconds, there was nothing left but ashes. Applejack knew he had not really burned to a crisp, but it was not a good sign. The cowgirl buried her face in her hooves.