Happiness and Drama at the Gala

"Come on, girls!" Cinnamon Stick called from outside the ladies' dressing room. "Why won't you let me in?"

"It's not that we're embarrassed to dress in front of you," Screwball said.

"It's just we don't want you peeking!" Dinky finished.

"We want you guys to be surprised!"

"Surprised for what? I've known you girls forever!"

"Just go back to your father, Sugar!" Applejack commanded. "We'll see y'all tonight."

Cinnamon Stick sighed. "Whatever you say, Mom."

"So Screwball," Princess Flutterby Lily said as she filed the younger mare's hooves. Even though she was a princess, she liked giving her friends makeovers. "Is there a certain some pony you're taking to the dance?"

Screwball blushed. "Not really. How about you?"

"No. My last boyfriend was too arrogant. I'm sick of all these Canterlot snobs! No offense, Rarity."

"None taken," the unicorn said as she attempted to curl her daughter's mane. "Gemstone, hold still! However did you get so many knots in here?"

"Probably from pulling at her hair too much," Cinnamon Roll snickered.

"Rarity, are you sure this hair straightener works?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"It always works for me," Rarity replied. "Why do you ask?"

"No matter how many times I straighten the Tri-Pies' manes, they become all poofy again!"

Since Pinkie thought it was silly calling her daughters 'the triplets,' she nicknamed them the 'Tri-Pies.'

"Ah!" Apple Blossom screamed.

"What is it, honey?" Cheerilee inquired.

"Look, Mom!" The filly had released her hair from her braids and held the strands up for her mother to see. "Split ends!"

Gemstone cried out in pain as her mother abruptly yanked the curler out of her mane.

"Did you say 'split ends'?" Rarity questioned.

"Wow!" Pinkie observed, taking a strand of Apple Blossom's hair. "Nasty ones, too!"

The unicorn gasped. "This is terrible! Don't worry, dear! I'll get to you as soon as I'm done with Gemstone, here."

"But Aunt Rarity, this is an emergency!" Screwball insisted. "There's a boy involved!"

Rarity gasped again and dropped the curler. "A boy?! Well, why didn't you say so?!"

She grabbed a pair of scissors and hastened Apple Blossom to a seat.

"Mom!" Gemstone protested. "What about my hair?!"

"Oh, um..." Rarity stammered. "Fluttershy, think you can...?"

"Of course."

The pegasus went over to the unicorn filly to finish the job while Rarity snipped at Apple Blossom's mane.

"So this boy," she said, "are you two close?"

"We've been friends for a while," Apple Blossom replied with a blush.

"And he hasn't asked you out yet?! Darling, you should have called me sooner! When's the last time you combed your mane?"

"Ahem," Cheerilee coughed. "I make sure she combs her mane every day."

"Well, then messy hair must be an Apple thing."

"Hey!" Applejack cried.

"Oh, don't take it personally, darling, it's true!"