A Lesson in Friendship

Dinky, Cinnamon Stick, Apple Blossom and the twins stood outside Screwball's bedroom.

"Go ahead," Lightning said, nudging her brother. "Knock."

"I'm not knocking," Thunder insisted. "You knock!"

"No, you knock!"

"You knock!"

"Fine! Cinnamon Stick, you knock!"

"No way!" the earth colt declared. "I'm not crazy to go near her when she's in this state!"

"My coz is right," Apple Blossom agreed. "Suppose we get her upset and she loses it? She went through a lot yesterday. Maybe only one of us should go in."

"I'll go," Dinky volunteered. "She's my best friend."

No pony ever argued whenever Dinky said that, knowing that the two of them were closer than bread and butter. The unicorn was about to knock on the door when Cinnamon Stick stopped her hoof.

"Be careful," he whispered.

Dinky nodded and knocked.

"Go away!" Screwball screamed from inside.

"Screwy, it's Dinky! May I come in?"

There was a pause. "Just you."

The door opened automatically for Dinky to step inside. The room was completely dark and silent, save for Screwball's sobbing and the twittering of three sparrows circling her. Dinky raised an eyebrow at them questioningly.

"They're for moral support," her friend stated.

"Right."

Dinky climbed onto the bed and carefully lay her hoof on Screwball's head. "You okay?"

"Do I look okay?!"

The unicorn jumped back at her tone. Screwball sighed as she rolled onto her back and sat up.

"Sorry, Dinks. I've just had a bad day."

"I understand," Dinky nodded. "The Tri-Pies told us about your fight with your dad."

"Those tattletale triplets," Screwball muttered under her breath.

"Every pony fights with their parents now and then."

"But that's the first time I fought with Dad! I mean Mom's gotten sore at me several times before, but not Dad! We never had anything to argue about until now!"

She buried her face in her knees. Dinky patted her on the head.

"The Tri-Pies told me he was hard on you."

"What else did they tell you?" Screwball asked, not looking up.

The unicorn bit her lip. "Well...I don't know if they were just talking crazy like they normally do, but they said that...you were, um...dating that changeling?"

This time, Screwball did look up. "It's true, okay?!"

Dinky's eyes widened. "Was he the special some pony you were talking about?"

"Yes."

"Wow. You weren't kidding when you said your dad would get mad."

Screwball had expected a scream. "You don't mind?"

"Screwy, my best friend's the Princess of Chaos, my boyfriend's dad is a dragon, my eyes look in opposite directions. I'm used to weird stuff."

The earth pony giggled. "Well, yeah, but...changelings are supposed to be evil."