Five Years Later

"Now make a wish and blow out the candles!" Pinkie Pie screeched.

The seven-layer cake sitting in front of Dinky and Screwball had thirty candles, fifteen for each of them. The party was held at Screwball's this year, and a good thing too, because there were many guests and much space was needed. Three energetic, poofy-haired fillies hovered over the birthday girls. One was blue, one a deep magenta and the third a light red.

"Quick, quick!" the blue one urged.

"Blow them out!" cried the magenta one.

"Yeah, so we can dig in!" the red one clapped.

"Blueberry, Raspberry, Cherry!" Pinkie Pie shouted, ushering the girls back into their seats. "Calm yourselves!"

Screwball looked to her friend. "You ready?"

Dinky nodded. "On three."

"One..." they counted together, "two...three!"

They inhaled simultaneously and extinguished the tiny flames while Fluttershy snapped a picture. There were cheers from every pony and a cry from a baby.

"That yours or mine?" Discord asked Applejack.

"I got this one!" Spike declared, rushing to a purple baby carriage. He took a baby bottle out of his bag and fed it to the infant. "Here you go, little fella! There's a good little Applespike!"

It turned out that it was possible for a pony and a dragon to have a child. At a glance, the foal looked normal: an orange earth pony with green hair, until you saw his green reptilian eyes and scaly orange tail.

The young colt let out a burp, coughing up green fire. Spike only smiled.

"That's my special boy!"

Discord put his hands around the birthday girls' shoulders. "So what did you gals wish for?"

"I wished that Dinky's wish would come true," Screwball said.

"Aw, thanks, Screwy!" Dinky sniffed.

"In that case," the draconequus said, "what'd you wish for, Miss Doo?"

The unicorn blushed. "Uh...I wished for...muffins!"

Lightning Dash rolled her eyes. "Of course."

Discord chuckled and snapped up a plate of assorted muffins. "Here you are, but I think you should have the cake first."

"Cake, cake, cake!" the Pie triplets chanted, pounding their hooves on the table.

"Girls!" Pinkie said firmly. "That's not very polite. You know the birthday girls get the first bite of the cake! It's one of the major rules of birthday parties!"

The foals scrambled into a line as Discord cut the chocolate-frosted yellow cake.

"Uh, how many calories does this have?" asked a white unicorn filly with an elegantly coiffed blue mane. "I'm on a diet."

"Oh please," Prism groaned, rolling her eyes.

"Don't be such a party pooper, Gemstone!" Rarity laughed, patting her daughter's head. "There's nothing wrong with a little cake. Besides, you're too young to be dieting."

Gemstone was Prism's age at nine and was the daughter of Rarity and Fancy Pants. Screwball had not wanted her to come because she was so fussy, but she had rarely seen Aunt Rarity since her marriage and wherever she went, Gemstone went.

"Here you go, girls," Discord said, handing Dinky and Screwball each a slice of cake.

The latter gasped as the plate floated out of her hands and over to a high chair. There sat a gray foal with a lock of pink hair and swirly red eyes. He clapped his hooves as the cake landed in front of him.