Chapter One - I hate you Harry Styles.

My name is Emalie, but nobody calls me that. Call me Em, not Emmie - the only person who calls me that is...well it doesn't matter.

I'm about five foot six and I have warm blue eyes and long blonde hair. I suppose I'm slim but not skinny. Last year, I left school dreaming of a scholarship in athletic running, this year I'm working in a diner in my village Holmes Chapel. Living the dream huh!

I place my silky blonde hair behind my ears as I struggle carrying three plates. Another girl working here, called Martha smirks at my attempt of 'weight lifting' and takes one plate off me. I give her a smile as I release the plates onto the worktop. I place the red and navy apron around my neck, as I tie it into a neat bow.

This isn't the worst job in the world, but it's not how I imagined my life to be! Nothing is how I imagined it to be; a year ago my life was perfect. I had my best friend and a scholarship to the best sporting school in England; but now it's gone.

Everything is gone.

"Table five want you Emalie."

I roll my eyes before grabbing a notebook and pen. I walk up to the table, staring at my notebook and not looking up.

"Hi, I'm your waitress today. My name is Emalie, what would you like?"

I plaster a fake smile on my face as I glance at my watch. Twenty minutes left...time goes so slow when you're bored out of your mind.

"Hello Emmie."

Those are two words I thought I'd never hear again. My heart stopped in that very moment as I almost dropped my notebook in shock. I glance up, almost scared of what I would see. My fears are confirmed when I see HIM.

His autumn green eyes pour into me, and his dimples are revealing themselves. His hair is how it always used to be; messy yet still looking perfect. It seems like forever while I stare at him, considering my next move.

Eventually I break the silence.

"I hate you Harry Styles."

I turn away and walk towards the kitchen trying to hide the fact that tears are forming in my eyes. It has been a whole year since he last spoke to me.

We were inseparable. We were the siblings that we both never had. We understood each other and we accepted each other. Until he found fame, and forgot about me...

______________________________________________

*Flashback*

"Emmie!"

I turn to find Harry clutching a haribo ring.

"See, I told you I would do it."

"Do what?" I giggle curiously.

"I told you that we'd get married silly!"

He shakes his head as he sits beside me in the sandpit.

"Eww I don't want to marry you Harry!" I laugh loudly.

He shrugs his shoulders and eats the ring.

"Never mind, let's play in our tree."

"Harry?"

"Yeah."

"You're my best friend."

"You're mine too." He smiles broadly as we do our secret handshake.

______________________________________________*End of flashback*

We used to have a special spot where we would hang out together. We called it our tree; we even carved our names into it once. I shake myself out of my daydream, he left me. I wouldn't let myself be hurt like that again.

"Emmie!" I hear his deep voice call my name through the door.

I ignore him as I sit down with my back facing the door. Suddenly the door swings open and I fall backwards.

"Bloody hell!"

I curse as I hit my head. I look up to find Martha, standing over me with a raised eyebrow.

"What are you doing in here, someone wants you out there?"

I pull myself up and cross my arms stubbornly.

"Well, I don't want them." She sighs and opens the door.

"Well, tough they are a customer and they want you." She points to the direction of the door.

I shake my head quickly. I couldn't face him, not now. Not ever!

She shoves me out of the door into the dining room. I try to duck under the counter, but it's too late. He's there waiting at the counter. He sees me and smiles as he beckons me over. I throw my apron off and barge past him.

"Emmie wait!"

He calls after me as I push the door open and jog outside into the cold breeze. I shiver as I walk faster. He calls after me again.

"Emmie, we need to talk!"

I turn around briskly as he runs up to me.

"No-one calls me that!"

I say, trying to talk to him without bursting into tears.

This is too overwhelming.

"But I do, I've always called you that."

I carry on walking but he grabs my hand. I face him as I shout.

"Well not anymore Harry! You left me without even saying goodbye, and then after a year when I've finally accepted the fact that my best friend is lost, you come back leaving me more and more confused and I'm sick of this!"

I shrug him off me as he looks down and seems upset- wait no, don't feel sorry for him!

"I've been busy; don't think I didn't want to see you because I did! Every single day, I wanted to be with you, to hang out, just like old times."

"Then why didn't you." I interrupt.

He pauses for a moment.

"I...I just couldn't alright. It's complicated."

I now let the tears fall freely.

"How complicated is it to pick up the phone and ring me Harry? I've been there for you for eleven years, and you leave me as soon as someone waves money in front of you."

"It wasn't like that; don't you think I wanted to see you? I needed a best friend."

"You have Louis now."

"Emmie, don't be like that. Louis' my mate but -"

"But what?"

"He isn't you."

I walk away from him and his crap. How hard was it to say goodbye?

"Please Emmie wait!"

I run down the street into a nearby Starbucks. I buy a cappuccino, as I exit the shop. Deep down, I hope that he's still there. Of course I miss him, every single day I've felt empty. I glance down the street, but this time he's gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys like it so far. It gets better, this is more of an introduction. Please comment it means the world to me and maybe read my other completed fanfic Forever Yours? Thanks for reading I appreicate it x

Sophie x