08 ➳ Close Call

♪ Didn't mean to leave you

~Your POV~

I held my breath as I waited for Anthony to come down the stairs to head to school, drumming my shoe-covered foot against the dark, wooden floor.

"Anthony Edward Y/l/n!" (If you know that name from the specific place I took it from, I love you) I yelled upstairs to my older brother.

"Shut your mouth you whiny brat!" He yelled back. We were lucky our dad had to go in early for work, he wouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior. "I'll be down in five minutes!"

"I'm leaving!" I yell back, yet again, as I open the door to leave. "I'm not leaving Aphmau waiting! You know she's walking with us today!"

Then it gets suddenly quiet. Tony stops running around upstairs, he doesn't yell back a starkly reply, this is all uncharacteristic of my older brother.

I hear his footsteps pound down the stairs as he seems to fly over to me by the front door. He pants slightly, it's almost goes unnoticed, and his Y/h/c hair, which is a lighter shade than mine, is tangled and uncombed. And surprise surprise, note the sarcasm, Anthony isn't wearing the school's designated uniform.

"I'm ready to go!" He blurted out, then he proceeded to meander out the front door, heading over to Aphmau, who was waiting for us by the driveway.

I groaned as I quickly ran over to out tall pantry and opened the door, looking over the many shelves and crammed of boxes and bags of food. Then I noticed the small green box I saw looking for and I reached my hand inside and grabbed a granola bar, then I ran back outside and closed the front door, quickly locking it with the house key that I had in my pocket at all times.

"Tony!" I announced to the boy I called my brother, who was standing next to Aphmau. The boy seemed to have a small evil smirk on his face, but that was kinda normal for him, so I ignored it. Then he looked over in my direction as I called him. "Catch!"

He caught the bar with ease, looking at it with a slightly confused look. "A granola bar?"

"You didn't eat breakfast." I deadpanned, taking a few long strides to reach the two people who were waiting for me.

"Why didn't you eat breakfast?" Aphmau almost gasps, tilting her head to the side. "My mom always makes me eat breakfast, she tells me it's the most important meal of the day."

Anthony ignored Aphmau's question, then he gave me a slight side glare. "Why do you need to worry about what I eat? I don't need you babying me." He spat.

"Well," I start walking toward the school, Aphmau being quick to catch up to my side, "you won't let dad take care of you, Irene, you don't even let him talk to you. And I'm taking the responsibility of keeping you in check."

Anthony didn't respond as he peeled open the bar, munching on it quietly as he trailed slightly behind Aphmau and I.

"Wait, why doesn't he talk to your father?" Aphmau asked me, not the person the question is pertaining to. This girl has all the questions today, doesn't she?

"All I'll say on that matter is that Tony back there is a huge mamma's boy." I say, making a joke and avoiding the question the blackette asked, but I don't think Aphmau noticed because she just snickered at my joke and dropped the subject. "Anyway, Aph, why did you want to walk with us today of all days?"

"Oh," Aphmau giggle lightly, "I usually walk to school with my friend, actually, he's a not-alone-buddy, but that's another story." Aphmau starts. "He was sick today and I don't want to walk to school alone because of pass incidents with Ivy and her gang."

"Who's Ivy?" I hear Tony pipe up from behind us, then I hear the crinkling of a wrapper as it's shoved into his pocket.

"She's this egotistical, vile, stubborn, obnoxious, overconfident, evil, pink haired bully of a sophomore." Aphmau rants. "She's picked on me this year because I'm friends with her crush, Garroth."

"Garroth?" Anthony asked. "Oh, I'm friends with him. I'm the pitcher of the baseball team and he's the captain."

"Ok, and who's your "not-alone-buddy"?" I ask.

"Oh, he's a freshman like me. His name's Travis."

"I'm friends with him too." Tony comments.

We walk silently for a little while more. We're about a minute away from the school before I hear the approaching footsteps of Anthony behind Aph and I.

"So Aphmau," Tony starts with a small smirk, he wore the same one earlier today, "do you know some senior named Gene?"

I see Aphmau visible tense up. Her face contorts slightly, her arm muscles tighten and flex, and she shuts her jaw tight.

"Y-yeah." Aphmau sputters out.

"You seem tense," Tony said, almost as if he knew this would happen, "is there any turmoil between to two? I don't mean to pry or anything."

"Earlier this year, he umm..." The girl with large honey colored eyes looked up at me, as if looking for a sign for her to continue talking. I know that she knows I'm great friends with the people in the Shadow Knights, but she seems reluctant to speak her mind.

"Go ahead." Tony ushers, a dark undertone starts to become noticeable in his voice. "We're listening."

"Gene, he, ugh...he had this pho-"

"Oh my Irene!" I blurt, cutting off Aphmau impolitely. I gaze at the time at my phone. "I promised to meet Zenix in the lecture hall to help him study for our English test today! Sorry, gotta flash!" Then I bolted away from the two.

I run through the hallways to find my brown headed and red eyed friend, but then I start to think about what Aphmau has wanted to say about Gene.

♪ And all of the things that we had behind