#17 - Classic Man In These Streets

"Eli, you alright?" Marcus asked. He asked the question, but he wasn't looking at me. He had his eyes on Tim. 

Tim looked at me. His face was priceless, that mug was gone.

"Give him some room Marcus, he was just leaving."

They stared at each other for only a few seconds, but it seemed longer. Marcus never did move.

"So this is who you was texting? This who you fxckin' now? Who is this Elijah?"

"I think I heard him tell you not to call him that." Marcus said. "And I'm Marcus, nigga."

This was some heated and very awkward shxt. I was definitely feeling this side of Marcus. He was being a little protective and I wasn't going to stop him. He didn't have to, but I let what happened, happen.

"Mind your business." That was all Tim could say.

Marcus just looked at him. He slightly cocked his head to the side, his eye slightly twitched and he gripped the coffees he held in both hands. He was definitely showing restraint. "You mess with Eli, you mess with me, boy."

Oh shxt, oh shxt, oooh shxt. Luckily Tim just ignored him. I was surprised because Tim can be a loose canon at times.

"Umm," Tim cleared his throat, "I'll get in touch with you later Eli," he said glancing at me.

How he stood there and acted like he just didn't tear me down was funny to me. Marcus slightly moved giving Tim just enough space to get by. He glared as Tim walked down the hallway.

"Sorry about that, Marcus."

He was still watching Tim, "No problem."

"Well, you coming in?"

He turned from glaring at Tim walking down the hall. He smiled at me and entered.

"You already know how we do. Where's my hug? " he asked.

"You and these hugs man," I teased opening my arms as he hugged me.

I could stay in his arms forever. He truly gave the best hugs. I'm not a petite guy, I'm not short and I don't think I'm that tall, I'm just six foot even, but that goes to show how those extra four inches in height worked in his favor, that and his muscular physique.

"I like your set up here. Nice, very nice," he said looking around. "Thanks for inviting me."

"Yeah, welcome. It's modest, really. Hey, let me take that coffee off your hands."

I took both sleeved cups and placed them on the counter.

"That was your boyfriend? An ex?"

"Hell naw."

"I heard a bit of the convo. Y'all were pretty loud. Should I be worried? Cuz I really, really, like you. Straight up."

"No. Just a friend. We got a little close and he flaked on me and left town. He came back tonight and I just went off. Take my advice Marcus, don't date friends."

He smiled.

"I want to be your friend. Your best friend." He said taking a step to me. "I mean, I like you, but I want to be your friend first."

"Why you lyin'? That pic you sent this morning aren't what friends do."

"What you mean? It was just a smile and my chest," he said smiling.

"Naw, that other pic."

"Ohhh, that wasn't even for you. My bad," he said laughing and stroking his chin.