Part fourteen

Six months had passed. Six fucking months. There had been no rescue attempts, no contact, nothing. Dick had been abandoned and he was more than a bit angry about it. They had brought him into the family and he thought they cared but perhaps they didn't. Over time, the question of them not caring became fact in the mind of Dick and he didn't care anymore. He didn't care about anything anymore. Killing became uncomfortably easy and without the promise of any help, he accepted his life as the enemy to justice. He'd lost weight and sleep. His skin was much paler, its only colour coming from busted lips and bruises. The smile that was once common to his lips he couldn't even remember the feel of now. He hadn't been out on any big missions yet as Slade needed to make sure he had what it takes. And it appears he thought he had what he takes.

Dick was waiting outside of Slade's office when he was called in. He walked in with emotionless expression he always wore and got on one knee in front of him. "You called for me sir?"

"That I did. Batman and his sidekicks are getting all too comfortable in Gotham. They're meddling with us more than usual." Dick got up and raised an eyebrow as a screen showed up in front of Slade. "Tonight you will lure them to a selected location. Once I secure it, you will knock them out and restrain them. Then you will shoot one of the sidekicks." he explained. Dick grimaced at the thought of this. Sure he was angry at them but killing one of them would need a whole different level of anger. "Sir, his allies will surely find out and want vengeance once we kill one," Dick pointed out. Slade smiled underneath his mask. 

"You're a smart soldier Richard. The Justice League will naturally want to attack us but by the time they have found us they won't be able to defeat us." Dick nodded. 

"I will make preparations to move out sir. Will I be needing civilian clothing?" Dick asked. Slade shook his head. "We need it to look like you escaped from me." Then he dismissed Dick. Tonight would truly show his loyalty.

Batman was patrolling along Red Robin, Red Hood and Renegade following a lead on their missing family member. They had been hit hard with the loss of Dick (hahaha.) They ran across the building until Renegade noticed a small figure running alongside them. "There's someone down there," he announced. Batman stopped and watched the small figure keep running. 

"You have to follow me!" the figure shouted. That voice. It sounded like, 

"Richard!" Red Robin exclaimed recognising the voice. 

"That can't be him," Renegade muttered. Why would he be running away from them? "Follow me!" he shouted back. "I need you to follow!" Without a second thought, they followed him. 

"He must be using evasive manoeuvres to get away from Slade. He's still in his uniform," Batman assured himself and the others. They were lead to a somewhat small warehouse and walked inside in search of Dick.

They found him standing beside Slade, receiving a gas mask from him. "What is this?" Batman asked, confused. "Isn't it obvious? He sold us out! I knew there was something wrong with that kid!" Red Hood snapped. Dick looked to them with a somewhat empathetic look before hiding it with his mask. Slade put on his mask and hit a button. The doors locked and the windows became armoured. The sound of gas spewing out of pipes filled the room, forcing the Batfamily to drop off one by one. Dick had to look away from their limp bodies and cursed under his breath. He couldn't go through with this, he needed to find a way to save them. Even if it meant putting himself in danger...