8 | hurt

Hayley could hear the sound of the sirens blaring, already knowing that the Pterodactyls had already made their appearance on main land

Hayley could hear the sound of the sirens blaring, already knowing that the Pterodactyls had already made their appearance on main land. Hayley tried to stay calm as she tightened her grip on Owen, as he sped through the jungle.

"All units, take position on the boardwalk. Use liquid tranquilizers. Do not fire live ammunition." The same man on the PA ordered. Owen took a gun from a random worker before he passed one to Hayley as they ran through the crowd of people, making their way towards the boardwalk.

As they pushed through a crowd of people, Owen and Hayley both take their stance beside other guards as they start firing at the pterodactyls. Hayley would shoot down as many as she could while Claire crawled on top of a pushed over kiosk, shouting out for the boys.  As Hayley was shooting, she checked to make sure Owen was fine , before turning back around to continue to shoot at the Pterodactyls.

But as she was firing, a Pterodactyl dug it's talons into her back, causing her to let out a scream as she felt the pain that hit. Owen snapped his head towards where she was and watched  as the Pterodactyl slammed her to the ground, trying to bite her, but Owen took his gun and shot it with a tranquilizer. He kneeled down next to her and looked over the three large claw marks on her back, blood slowly seeping through her shirt.

"Shit." Hayley hissed as Owen helped her stand up. Everything hurt, especially her back but she refused to let the pain show. She didn't want to worry Owen and they still had her nephews to find. Her family needed her even if she was in pain but she knew the pain was only going to get worse, even if she tried to push it down. She had to prioritise and the pain in the back wasn't a priority.

Once she was standing, Owen stared down at her, before grabbing her face in his hands and pressing his lips to hers. Hayley let out a small gasp as he kissed her while Claire watched them awkwardly. But then she pulled her eyes away, to find her two nephews.

"It's them! Zach! Gray!" Claire yelled as she rushed over towards Zach and Gray.

Hayley looked up at Owen, giving him a smile that he was quick to return before she starts to walk towards them, the wounds in her back burning with every step.

"Oh, my God! Thank God! Thank God! What happened? What is this? Are you okay? Where did you go? Why didn't you come back? I was so worried about you." Claire spoke frantically.

Gray was quick to realise his other aunt was standing right there. "Aunt Hayley." He yelled as he rushed towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist. Hayley hissed in pain as she staggered on her feet due to the pain but Owen was quick to catch her. Gray stared at his aunt in shock before Zach spoke up.

"What the hell happened?" He practically yelled as he looked at her injury. Zach and Gray absolutely adored Hayley and were very overprotective of her, even if it annoyed her sometimes. Claire wished she had the same relationship with them that Hayley had with them but she knew it was her fault. More than anything, she felt bad for the way she had treated Hayley, especially now, considering her injury.

Hayley shook her head, "I'm fine. Please don't worry about me." Before both boys could protest, Owen caught their attention.

"Hey," Owen spoke. "We gotta go."

"Okay. Come on, let's go." Hayley spoke to her nephews and Claire.