58. Gone For Eternity

Start from the beginning

"Oh." His chair slid over the floor, creating an awful sound. "Okay, do you want to talk to anyone else? Your brothers or...?" I flinched at the pain in his voice, piercing my lip hard to not beg him to stay with me.

"No, I just want to be alone."

He sighed deeply. "Okay, as you wish, princess."

I listened closely to his footfalls as he fled the room and closed the door behind him. I released a breath and repositioned myself on the bed so I could watch comfortable out the half-covered window. The snow and the gray clouds blanketed the town in a shadow like an enormous comfy sheet.

"She doesn't want anyone in there." Anthony's voice ran out on the other side of the door and made my arms shake in need of hold around him and cry out on his shoulders, but I didn't. I just glanced out into the grey world and kept my eyes as dry as the Sahara.

"But we're her bothers! We have also lost a mother!" Liam's angry voice clasped back at him.

"She doesn't want anyone with her right now and you should respect that. I know that it's also your mom who's gone, but Nina is a bit more sensitive."

"Don't you think this is hard on me? My own mother killed herself in front of my little sister on her birthday! She needs someone to talk to and who is better than me right now?" Liam asked sternly.

"She said she wanted to be alone. Don't you want to respect that?" Anthony said smoothly.

There was a pause where I could catch my breath.

"Of course I respect that, but still, she's my sister. I should be there for her, not stand on the other side of a damn white door!"

I shut my eyes and inhaled, slow and steady, while my eyes wetted my cheeks as time went by. I sealed out the rest of their conversation, waiting for my hot-headed brother to burst through the entrance and come racing to me.

He never appeared and the voices left was taken elsewhere by the quietness. I sighed deeply, bending my fingers together over my lap and glancing down at the begging glass of water. I stretched my fingers away from each other again and struck for the glass on the nightstand, twisting my whole torse over trying to reach it.

My fingertips just grazed against the cold glass, crushing me right back in the bed again. I took a deep breath and tried again, rotating my torso and reaching for the glass, hoping for another result.

Another time failure was in my sight and I rolled back in the bad again. I stirred in my seat, moving closer to the edge. My throat was yearning for something to glide down and shut off its thirst.

My hands clutched the thin glass and hoisted it from the table. My arm leaped from the surprise of its weight, but quickly stabilized it again and lifted it up to my lips to take a long slurp. Liquid poured down my throat, carrying a pleasant feeling behind it and pacifying my burning throat.

I gazed up at the wall. The oh so dull white wall there just appeared to gawk at me too. I turned and caught my reflection in a miniature mirror. My father's face was staring back at me, grinning.

"You killed her!"

My hands traveled up to deposit over my ears and I gently bowed my head.

"It's all your fault!"

"No!" I glimpsed up and meet his glare. "You killed her! Not me!"

The reflection blurred back to me. I was now watching me and not him and he was no longer staring at me. "This wasn't my fault," I whispered to myself, running my fingertip over my bare lips.