8. The Blush Of Nightfall

"So." Mrs. Green sat down in the brown chair and rolled over to me. "Tell me why you are so sad." She smiled, placing her hands over mine.

I took in a deep breath, I had thought it through a million times, but lying didn't come easily to me. "My mom threw me out of the house for a while because I ruined some of her work, so I thought I maybe could stay with you for a while, just until I can come back."

She smiled wider, "of course, darling." She looked out the window, "but I am afraid I only have a couch to offer."

"That's alright, I don't need more," I answered politely and found myself feeling a bit lighter. Mrs. Green had always been so nice. She didn't see me as a filthy girl from the poor end of town. She saw me as me. She saw me as Nina and I really couldn't ask for more. "Thank you so much, Mrs. Green."

"No problem," she said and removed the last tear gliding down my wet cheeks. "You can always come to me, Nina."

I nodded and mumbled a thank you before Mrs. Green stood up and looked towards the door. "I'm sorry, but I need to go now. You can stay and help, but you can also come back when I close later."

"I'll just come back later," I answered, feeling the need to be alone for a couple of hours to gather my uncontrollable thoughts.

"Alright, let's get down to business." She smiled as she left the room in a few jumps on her small feets.

I gazed at the closed door, longing for the warmth her touch had given me. Every nerve in my body wanted to tell her how much I wanted to be loved; to be held by someone who could give me an assuring warmth.

I needed someone to love me.

Love me like my brother had. Make me feel like I matter. It was selfish, but I couldn't stop it.

My head dropped low, as my wishes died down with my hopes.

No one would ever love me again. I accepted that fate a long time ago, but still, I couldn't stop wondering how things would have turned out if my family hadn't gone down the wrong path. Maybe we would be a loving family like Anthony's.

I shook my head. Dreams were not for me. Nightmares were better. They didn't get my hopes up to high. They kept them in place.

I left the Diner and showed my hands down in my pockets as I wandered the ghost-quiet streets of this old little town. Why had my mother come here in the first place? I would have stayed in the big city.

I walked around the town until the sun was about to set. As I came to a bench where I easily could see nightfall take place, I sat and turned my mind off.

Through teary eyes, I watched the line where heaven touched the earth. My eyes blinked to take in the beautiful sight of a resounding glowing collision. Sparks lit the sky and bit by bit it colored everything crimson. I shot a glance over my shoulder and watched my shadow shrinking towards my feet.

I gazed at the horizon again.

As my eyes drifted to rest I am one with the sky. My skin is cooled by the light breeze; tickling all around. When my eyes awakened, clouds came floating past me. They didn't carry rain or lightning storms, they added color to my miserable life.

"It's beautiful."

I sighed. I've come to know that voice to well and even though I hate him, I can't tell him to go away. I am too naive to feel loved in this moment and maybe, only maybe, Anthony can give a little to me.

"Yes, it is," I said as my head fell down and my eyes landed on my shivering hands. His warm body collapsed beside me and his cologne fleed my way.