48. Lies Sometimes Work

I swung my back over my shoulder and pushed opened the glass door with my left hand. The cold snow laid as a fine layer over the parking lot. Not many cars had driven on it, only was trail was defined and the car there was parked right in front of me was one I knew all too well.

I opened the door and stepped inside. "You're not Liam," I said and closed the car door after me, slamming it hard.

"Nice to see you too," Anthony replied before he started the motor and began to drive.

"Why are you here? Liam picks me up from these meetings." I leaned against the window, watching the sparkling snow.

"You have been avoiding me." He turned left. "And I want to know why. Was it because we had se-"

"No!"

He laughed hard at my desperate outburst. "Well, if it isn't that, then what is it?"

I sighed. "Nothing."

"You're lying!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"This is ridiculous!" I yelled and slammed my hands on down on my thighs.

"You started it."

"No, I didn't! You just want the last word!"

"Maybe." He shrugged. "But I still want my answer and I'm going to get." 

He looked right into my eyes, but I looked away because I was too scared that he would look too close and find out how broken I really was, even though I kept murmuring I was fine. 

He sighed when I didn't reply to his words and drove the last way to his house in utter silence. "Have you been sleeping recently? You look like you need rest," he asked as we walked side by side up to the front door, the cold wind hitting our pink cheeks. 

"I don't sleep. My mind has this scary capability to be dark and twisted." I opened the door and walked inside, with him following close behind. 

"You're afraid of your dreams?" He followed me close inside the living room, where we to my surprise was alone.  

"Yes," I said quietly and sat on the couch, hiding with a pillow. I couldn't see what Anthony was doing, but I could hear him walk around. Each step echoed through the room. 

"There is a lot that you aren't telling me, Nina. I can feel it."

"I'm fine." 

"That's what everyone who isn't fine says." He strolled over to stand in front of me, his arms crossed over his chest. 

"Then what do you want me to say? That I'm okay? On the top of the world? Happy?" I stood from the couch and looked him dead in the eye for one single moment before I walked away and turned my back towards him. "Shall I just play and pretend that I have one big and happy family? That my mother, father, brothers and-"

"Brothers? What are you talking about?" He took my arm and turned me around, forcing me to face him. 

I gulped. What was I going to do? The last thing I wanted was for him to know the truth. At least for now.

"My mistake, I obliviously meant brother, so why are you stepping on it?" I asked highly, not really thinking.

"Someone as clever as you don't make grammatical mistakes in your sentences." He hadn't raised his voice yet, but I could hear it was on its way.

I sighed, sadly, I could use Anthony's own words against him because he was right, I was clever. "Anyone can make grammar mistake will they are agitated! Like I am right now because you're trying to do all this weird psychology thing on me, which you already have paid someone else to do!"