"Just messin' with you," Xander said. "But hey, take me off speaker."

"Wait," Drey said. "Why can't I listen? Or is it something private?" he asked and winked at me. I almost gagged.

"Nah, I'm just thinking that you should get back to studying," Xander replied. "I'm right behind your rank, you know."

"Oh shit!" Drey yelled and whirled around to face his homework.

I took Xander off of speaker and put my phone to my ear. "What do you want?"

"Before you get angry, just listen to what I'm about to say," Xander said, his voice serious.

"What is it?" I asked. I couldn't imagine what Xander would have to say to me for him to sound so serious.

"I heard your phone call earlier," he started.

"You what?" I almost yelled.

"Listen to me, Jasper," Xander said. "My car wouldn't start earlier and I called my sister to jump it. While I was waiting, I just happened to hear part of your conversation."

"You damn asshole," I growled. "How could you listen to something like that?"

Drey whipped around to stare at me and I looked away.

"Jasper, I know how you feel," Xander said softly.

"How would you know how I feel?" I asked.

"I don't have a mom either," Xander quickly replied.

I stilled.

"Or a dad for that matter."

I didn't reply. My voice caught in my throat.

"Jasper," Xander said. "Are you there?"

I took a second to reply. "I'm here."

"You may not believe me, but I do understand what you're going through," Xander continued.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"For one, after finding out there was someone else who understood the same pain that I felt, it made me feel like I wasn't alone. So now, I guess I'm just trying to tell you the same thing. You know, that you're not alone," he replied.

I didn't understand why he was saying such kind words to me. It was like he was a completely different person.

"You're weird," was all I could manage to get out. "I'm not like you."

"You're right," he said. "Your parents didn't abandon you."

"Abandon?"

"My parents left me with my aunt when I was two years old," Xander explained. "My sister was one at the time. Neither of us remember it happening. But still, I understand where you're coming from."

I didn't know how to respond.

"But you said your dad was the one who was sick at home," I said.

"Shit, did I?" he asked.

"Yeah, so what're you hiding, Xander?" I asked.

"Nothing," he quickly said.

"There you go again being all mysterious," I sighed.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it. But really, how're you feeling now that you know my past is like yours?" he asked.

"I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to respond to all of this," I said. "You just spilled your life to me."

Xander laughed. "I didn't expect much from you anyways. But I guess I just also needed to vent. Sorry it had to be to you."

I choked over my words. "I, uh. It's fine. I let Hayden vent to me all the time."

"I'm sure most of it was about my sister, Paisley," Xander responded.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"They were dating, weren't they?" Xander asked. "I mean, I know they were. I was the one who introduced Hayden to Paisley."

"So it's your fault," I said.

"My fault? I didn't want my sister dating one of my closest friends, you know," Xander replied. "It was out of my control when they started going out."

"Oh," I said.

"But he's single now," Xander said. "Why aren't you taking a shot?"

"Why should I tell you?" I muttered. "I wish you never found out."

"Then should I tell you a secret to make up for it?" Xander asked.

"I don't care enough about you to want to know a secret of yours," I said.

"Haha, fine," Xander said. "I can make up for it in a different way."

"How's that?" I asked.

"I'll help you out," Xander replied. "With Hayden."

---
Hi, please let me know if you liked the chapter by leaving a vote and comment! ~ thank you :)