Superboy POV

I glanced over at (y/n). She had just gotten back with Dick from telling Wally about Artemis. A few people stopped to talk to her, to offer their condolences, but she didn't seem to acknowledge anything they said. I watched as the Team slowly headed off to bed, leaving (y/n) standing in the middle of the meeting room. She stood there so several minutes before walking back towards the Zeta-tube.

"Where are you off to?" I asked, breaking the silence.

She stopped and I could see her body shake a little.

"Mom doesn't know," she said. "I was going to go tell her."

"Want anyone to go with you?" I asked, walking towards her.

"Seriously?" she said. I nodded. "If you really want to, Conner," (y/n) said.

I nodded and followed them to the Zeta-tube.

~

(y/n) knocked on the door to her mother's apartment. Using my super-hearing, I could hear Mrs Crock moving around.

"One minute," she called.

I heard her come to the door, pulling it open a moment later. She looked at us, confusion written on her face.

"(y/n)?" she said. "What's going on? It's the middle of the night."

"I know, Mom," she replied, "but this couldn't wait. This is Conner, by the way."

She nodded towards me before letting us in. We moved into the living room. (y/n) and I sat on the couch, facing Mrs Crock.

"Now, what's wrong?" Mrs Crock asked, her voice holding hints of worry.

"It's about Artemis," (y/n) said. "There was a mission earlier tonight and..."

Her voice trailed off as she tried to hold herself together.

"(y/n)? What happened? Is your sister alright?" (y/n) stayed silent, her hands shaking. Mrs Crock grabbed her hands. "(y/n). What happened?"

"Mrs Crock," I said, turning her attention to me. "Artemis didn't make it. There was an accident and Artemis was killed."

Her face quickly turned from worry to shock to sadness. She brought her hand to her mouth.

"Are you serious?" she asked.

I nodded. She looked to (y/n) for confirmation. (y/n) looked at her, tears in her eyes. Tears filled Mrs Crock's eyes. She pulled (y/n) to her, holding her close. I watched as the two cried together, (y/n) rubbing her mother's back, trying to calm her the best she could.

"Not my daughter," Mrs Crock muttered softly. "Not Artemis." She pulled back to look at (y/n), putting her hand on her daughter's cheek. "I am glad you are still safe, (y/n). I have already lost your father and Jade. I don't want to lose you too."

"You won't, Mom. I promise."

~

(y/n) and I walked down the street, making our way to the nearest Zeta-tube. (y/n) had called Wally so he could come and spend time with her mother while she got some rest, though she promised to come back later. Now, we walked in silence, (y/n)'s head down and her hands in her pockets.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I will be," she replied. "That was harder than I thought it would be. Thank you for being there."

"You're welcome, (y/n). Anything I can do to help?"

"I don't think so." She sighed. "Mom was right though. We've lost so much. Our relationship with one another was broken while she was in prison, though we've made our amends. She lost her legs, we lost Jade and Dad to the crime life. Now, with Artemis gone, all we have is each other."

I frowned a little, feeling bad. After a minute, I wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into my side. I felt her stiffen a little in shock, but she quickly melted into me. I gently rubbed my hand up and down her arm.

"I'm so sorry, (y/n). I promise, we're going to find Aqualad and make him pay for what he did."

She sighed.

"Thanks, Conner."

We walked in silence for a few more minutes, my arm still around her.

"What are you going to do when we get back to the Cave?" I asked.

"Honestly? Probably sleep. I also need to call Jade to tell her about Artemis. She'll probably tell Dad what happened."

"You think you'll be able to tell her?"

"Yeah. Jade may be Cheshire, but she's still family. She can be patient, sometimes. I'll be alright."

I nodded and the rest of the walk was continued in silence.