I promise

Chloe jolted awake when she heard glass break somewhere in her apartment, followed by a loud thump. She knew exactly what that meant. Y/N had been out again and it hurt her just to think about it. She knew she needed to get up and help the other woman, but she was never prepared to see her best friend in pain. To see the woman she loved in pain.
She quickly jumped out of her bed and put on some sweatpants when she heard groans outside of her room. She didn't even want to know how bad Y/N looked this time.
She opened her door and sighed when she saw Y/N, a huge gash on her forehead already visible in the dim light that was shining through the window, barely illuminating the room well enough for Chloe to see Y/N's face in the moonlight.
"Y/N..." she whispered, a desperate undertone in her voice, as she walked up to Y/N and tenderly brushed some strands of hair out of her face before she inspected it for more wounds. "You can't keep doing this..."
"I'm sorry..." was the only thing Y/N quietly responded as she made her way to their couch, limping a little. It only made Chloe worry even more, realizing Y/N might be hurting more than she seemed to be on first glance.
"I should take you to the hospital, you know..." Chloe sighed again and then went to get a washcloth from the bathroom so she could start to clean her wounds. She tenderly helped Y/N to take off her blood stained shirt, only to find another gash right next to her ribs.
"You know that's not how this works." Y/N mumbled bitterly, wincing when Chloe started to clean the wound on her stomach.
"Lie down." Chloe ordered, getting some sanitizer as well. "And why? Because then you'd finally have to tell someone what you do every night?!" She asked, spat out, a little harsher than she had intended.
This wasn't new, by any means. It had always been like this ever since Y/N had moved in with her. And she was still glad that she had, not wanting to imagine how in the hell the girl would survive all of this if she was alone, even though she often kept her up all night. Y/N never told her what she did every night. No matter how often she'd ask her, Y/N avoided the questions every single time. And it hurt Chloe so badly, because she loved the girl so damn much, and not knowing where she went every night, coming back with gashes all over her body, sometimes even broken bones, was pure torture.
"You know I can't tell anyone..." Y/N sighed and whimpered loudly when Chloe accidentally grazed her gash. She kept her eyes closed, not wanting the other woman to know in how much pain she really was. She didn't want her to see her tears. Chloe needed to know that she was going to be okay.
"Why not, Y/N? Why not? I don't know how long I can keep doing this..." There was only silence after that. Some stray tears were running down Chloe's cheeks. "You need stitches."
Y/N simply nodded softly, staring out of the window now. She didn't dare look at Chloe, knowing it would break her.
"You should really be in a hospital right now, this is getting out of hand." Chloe repeated, scared there was going to come a day where she wouldn't be able to help Y/N anymore.
"You're a doctor." Luckily for both of them, this was true. Chloe was a well known doctor and could therefore help Y/N whenever she came home with bruises covering her beautiful body. She had always wanted to be a doctor, ever since she was a little child, because she loved helping people. But she also hated seeing people in pain, especially the person she was in love with. And it was breaking her heart, to see Y/N like this.
"Our living room is barely the best or safest place to do this."
"I like it here."
Chloe snorted, running her hand through her hair. She was kneeling in front of the couch Y/N was laying on, just looking at the other woman and softly playing with her hair.
"I don't want to hurt you," she whispered quietly. She hated it when Y/N needed stitches, knowing it was inevitable for her to cause her pain.
"You're not hurting me," Y/N smiled at her and took her hand. "You're saving me."
That was enough for Chloe to to build up the courage to get up and get all of the stuff she needed to fix Y/N's wounds.
"I wish you didn't need saving." She hummed, trying to comfort the other woman while she was stitching her up. She winced every time Y/N whimpered. She really should've been used to that by now, considering she was an actual doctor. But she'd never get used to seeing Y/N in pain.
They both sighed in relief when she was finally all done half an hour later. Chloe helped the brunette to get to the bedroom, her bedroom. She didn't want to sleep alone, too scared Y/N would leave her again. So she tightly, yet carefully, wrapped her arms around the other woman once they had settled in bed. Her face was buried in the crook of Y/N's neck and she placed a tender kiss on her skin there, which made her shiver softly.
"Y/N?" Chloe whispered eventually, her lips brushing Y/N's neck, hoping that she was still awake. She definitely wouldn't be able to fall asleep again.
"Mhh?"
"I need to know what you're doing out there every night. I thought I could take it, you know, but I can't. Every time I fall asleep I'm scared to wake up to you stumbling into the apartment, hurt. And I'm scared that one day you won't come back, that you won't make it. And the worst part is that I will never know what exactly happened. Because you don't talk to me. It's not fair, Y/N." Chloe had been trying to hold back her tears, but she was sobbing now. "Because I love you. And I can't lose you."
Y/N's breath hitched in her throat when she heard those three words she had been waiting to hear ever since she met the redhead she had grown to love so much, too.
She kissed Chloe's forehead softly, then her nose, then her lips.
"I'll always come back, I promise."