Moods

Kelley's in a mood.
To be fair, she's always a little bit in a mood, just like, naturally. But today especially, she's in a mood.
"You're going to get premature frown lines, Kelley," Brittany tells her at lunch.
"You're bumming me out, girl," Alexis frowns at her that afternoon when they meet up for coffee.
"Your whole vibe right now is cramping my style worse than when you were fired," Rebel scoffs at her as they go to meet up with the other Bellas for dinner.
Kelley scowls as they walk. "For the last damn time, I wasn't fired from the movie, I quit."
Rebel shoots her a look. "Case in point," she says. "You're lower than a snake in Australia."
"What?"
"They're down under? Like as low as you can get."
Kelley rolls her eyes. "You are so weird."
"At least I'm not a grump."
Needless to say, this conversation doesn't really make her any less grumpy.
//
Monthly Bella dinners are something Kelley usually looks forward to. Ever since they all finished the series and got busy jobs and lives, they don't really interact that much.
Kelley lives with Rebel and Brittany in New York, but she's always out of town for work, especially after her own career took off after the PP series.
Thankfully, most of the Bellas are in New York, too. All of them really, except Ester and Camp.
So, once a month, they all get together, no excuses, for dinner.
And truly, Kelley looks forward to these monthly dinners. Maybe she wouldn't have said that as a freshman in college, but she's older now and she realized a long time ago that she doesn't have to try to fit some definition of cool. She just does what makes her happy and she's good with that.
It just sucks that it's tonight because she's had a hell week, and she's in a mood, and she really just wants to crawl in her bed and have a good night's sleep.
It's Brittany's turn to pick the restaurant so they go to some new sushi place she's been wanting to try. There's the typical hugging and squealing and ohmygod look at you!s outside the restaurant. Kelley goes through the motions before sulking outside the crowd of girls. She just doesn't have the emotional strength right now to pretend she's in a good mood, but she also doesn't wanna be one of those people who ruins everyone else's night by being in a bad mood, so.
Sulking off the side. Casually. No big.
They pile into a long table inside the restaurant. Kelley's squeezed in, Shelley on one side and Chrissie on her other, Y/N's long legs brushing hers accidentally under the table from where she sits across from Kelley.
They get a whole variety of dishes, passing the plates around family style. Kelley spends the dinner giving lowkey answers to people's questions and just listening to everyone else's conversations. She listens as Chrissie tells Alexis about the new project she's working on, and Rebel talk about how they've been looking for a new apartment because their lease is almost up and Kelley's pay is obviously increased thanks to the singles she's been releasing the past month that have been getting mad radio play.
Kelley sinks lower in her seat as everyone starts singing one of her songs at each other.
She's so grateful to all of them; she wouldn't have done any of this probably if it weren't for her years with the cast, their support, just everything.
She just like, really isn't in the mood.
Finally it gets a little late so they finish their food and start paying. They get split checks and Kelley is one of the first to pay, so she pushes out into the cool night air while she waits for Brittany and Rebel, grateful for some space.
"You alright?" A hand lands on her shoulder and Kelley shrugs.
"Yeah, just one of those days," she says.
Y/N nods. "Yeah, I get it." She rocks back and forth for a second before giving Kelley a knowing look. "You know what makes it better?"
"Alcohol?"
Y/N sticks her tongue out. "Piggy back rides."
"No," Kelley shakes her head. "Nope."
"Mhmm," Y/N grins, turning so her back is facing Kelley and leaning over slightly. "Hop on."
"Dude, no."
"Let it happen, what do you have to lose?"
Kelley scoffs. "Uh my dignity?"
Y/N laughs at that. "I'm pretty sure you stopped caring about that like, three years ago." She points at her back. "I'm not giving up til you get on."
"If I do it for like, five seconds will you stop?"
Y/N just grins and points over her shoulder again.
Kelley sighs. "Fine."
She grumbles to herself, but resigns to awkwardly jumping on Y/N's back. Y/N heaves her up further and Kelley wraps her legs around Y/N's waist and her arms around her neck.
"Okay, let me down."
"What? No, we just started."
Then Y/N starts jogging, half bent over from Kelley's weight and half just hopping forward like a dork. She takes a few steps forward and then turns around and comes back until she's just running in a little circle in front of the restaurant.
"Oh my God," Kelley mutters, bouncing along with every step. "This is so stupid."
As if to make her feel more stupid, Y/N starts making noises like she's an airplane or a car or something. "Whooooosh, vrrrrrrrrrrrrm, nnnnyyeeeeehhhh!!!" Then she grabs one of Kelley's feet and points it at Alexis who just stepped out of the restaurant. "PEW PEW PEW!"
And Kelley can't help it. She feels so dumb and weird and embarrassed in the best of ways.
She laughs.
She laughs and she laughs and she can't fucking stop.
Her body shakes with the force of it and she leans her head down onto Y/N's shoulder, stifling the sound into her sweater.
She can't see it, but she can practically feel Y/N grinning as she hobbles from girl to girl, all coming out of the restaurant one by one, Y/N facing each one of them, another string of "PEW PEW PEW"s coming from her mouth, jabbing Kelley's foot forward with each one.
And Kelley's still laughing - she like, can't stop, and her abs hurt with it until she can't hold onto Y/N anymore and slides off her back.
All the cast just stare at them, but Kelley barely notices, bent over with laughter.
When she straightens up, Y/N's beaming at her.
"You guys are so weird," Anna says, but Kelley really doesn't even mind because Y/N's looking like she won the lotto more and more with every giggle that comes out of Kelley's throat.
And Kelley's not really in a mood anymore.
Well, actually she is. She's just not in a bad one. She's in a giddy, giggly one.
"Told you," Y/N says in an over-exaggerated whisper. "Works every time."
Kelley kind of doesn't think it was the piggyback ride, though. Like, if Rebel had given her a piggyback ride, she might've just been traumatized.
No, she thinks. It was Y/N, and her very specific quirkiness, her laugh, her contagious smile.
They all say bye, but Kelley's still just laughing to herself.
Thank you, she mouths to Y/N when she waves goodbye, but Y/N just shrugs like it was no big deal.
She makes a note to buy Y/N a coffee next week or something.
Furthermore, she makes a note to go to Y/N next time she can't shake one of her moods.