A Lesson in History

Start from the beginning

She goes silent, her brow furrowing and her jaw tensing. It looks like she's trying her hardest not to get emotional again, and I feel bad for pushing her... but something seems really fishy here.

"Sans... now's not the time," she says quietly. "I'll tell you later, but we have to meet the king."

I grit my teeth, conflicting emotions swamping me. This is a sensitive topic, and I know that. But I don't know how long I can go with her hiding things from me, either. So when she tries to twist her wrist out of my grip, I don't let her. I hold my ground, trying my best not to seem intimidating in the process.

"No. This is clearly bothering you, and that bothers me," I say matter-of-factly. "I understand having secrets, Buttercup. I've had plenty of my own, after all. But this is us. We're a team now, aren't we? I've told you pretty much everything there is to tell about me, and yet for some reason, I feel like you've been keeping a lot from me—and I don't like it."

She trembles a little bit as she looks up at me, her eyes already watering again. She's beginning to crack, I can see it. If I just push a little more, than maybe—

"It wasn't Charlotte who killed him," she whispers, opening up suddenly. "I... I didn't tell you, because I know how aggressive you can get, Sans. So if I let you in on this, you have to promise me something."

...

I'm taken aback by the way she's looking at me. It's a strange mixture of distress, seriousness, and determination. Even though she's about to cry, her voice is firm, and she's holding her ground just as confidently as I am.

...

"Buttercup, I've been making a lot of promises lately," I say slowly, eyesockets narrowing. "And I'm not sure I'm liking how this is beginning to sound."

"I just want you to promise not to make any rash decisions," she says. "I have it under control, I don't want you flying off the handle."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" I ask, feeling my irises leave my eyesockets. "You're making it sound like you're in some kind of danger."

"...Have been," she corrects, looking away. "Have been for a while now."

"...I don't understand."

"You have to promise first, Sans. Do you promise me that you won't take this into your own hands?"

"...Fine, I promise," I huff, glowering at her. "Now what is it you don't want to tell me? If Charlotte didn't kill him, who did?"

She goes quiet, and takes a long, deep breath before replying.

"Chara."

...

...

The shock of that word makes my mind go quiet. My hand goes slack around her wrist, and I find my arm falling back to my side.

"...What?"

"Ever since I fell down here, Chara's been... I don't know how to explain it, exactly. She's been talking to me in dreams," she says, watching me carefully. "And what she told me is kinda... well, it belongs in some kind of horror movie. She's like a demon that goes from person to person possessing people. She takes control of a child by infiltrating their soul, uses them to stalk someone else, and then tricks them into falling into the Underground before transferring to another host."

"...What?"

I can't believe what I'm hearing. It doesn't make any sense. (Y/N) points to the row of coffins, each with their respective souls.