Interlude

Quick Author's Note: Well, would you look at this. Two updates in two days. Why the hell did it take me two months last time? And six before that? It seems crazy now. XD

Sorry for such a long wait, guys! Hope you've enjoyed your two new chapters. I'll hopefully be back sooner next time, and be more regular! I wanna finish the story. -w-

Hope you like it!

~Your Perspective~

You're sitting at the bar in the familiar atmosphere of Grillby's, the chatter of monsters and the soft glow of the lamps on the walls giving the room its usual comforting atmosphere. You've just finished your usual piano routine-thanks to Toriel, your shoulder's good as new. Well, almost, anyway. There's a faint white scar running down the length of it, and you decided to pick some easier songs this morning so you could test the waters. You got pretty lucky; the pain is completely gone.

You wrap your hands around your beverage of choice, closing your eyes for a moment as you allow contentedness to flow freely in your soul. This is bliss, really. Warmth on a cold day, a drink in your hand... nothing to worry about, no pressing emergencies...

Okay, well, to be fair, there's still plenty to think about. It's been about a week since your excursion to Alphys' underground lab, and as promised, Sans has been helping the scientist out with the Maiga Tester. That's not what's worrying you, though. You haven't seen head nor tail of Gaster since you last spoke with him in the lab. Occasionally, you find yourself thinking you see a familiar black blob in the corner of your eye, but the vision (hallucination?) never lasts for very long.

You sigh quietly, finding yourself missing the old skeleton. Despite your lingering doubts about him and his grand scheme to break the Barrier, he has a personality that you can't help but be drawn to. He's nice to be around-you wish you had more time together.

The sound of rhythmic footsteps draws your attention, and you open your eyes to the dazzling sight of dancing red and orange flames. Grillby is as bright as always, his light making all the nearby glasses glitter cheerily. He puts down the bottle he'd been polishing and casually leans against the bar, his expression... well, you can't quite identify the look on his face.

"Enjoying your drink?" he asks simply, his voice as clam and quiet as ever.

"Yeah," you reply, giving him a friendly smile. "It really hits the spot. Thanks, Grillby."

"Well, I am about to make it even better," he says. You swear there's some sort of grin on that ever-shifting face of his. "It is on the house."

"Wait, what? Grillby, you don't have to-"

"No, no, I insist," Grillby interjects adamantly, topping off the glass for you. "It is your first day back after you sustained that shoulder injury, and I had already offered you a drink in the past. I think this is the perfect scenario to make good on it; consider it a 'welcome back' present."

"Alright, alright," you say, a laugh in your voice. When you smile up at him, you notice his flames change to more of a watermelon color. "Thanks, Grillby."

"It is my pleasure," he says cheerfully, offering you a joking half bow. Then the fire elemental does something unprecedented-he takes a large bottle out from under the counter, pours himself a glass of a redish-orange liquid, and then, after returning the bottle... comes around the bar, and takes a seat next to you. He's so close that the heat of his flames makes your entire right side comfortably warm. "How have you been, (Y/N)?"

It may be your imagination, but you think you see a tipsy rabbit giving him a nod of approval from the other side of the room. Then you focus back on the flaming bar tender, who's looking at you expectantly.