A Lesson in History

~Sans' Perspective~

I hold (Y/N) close, letting her cry on my shoulder. I'm not entirely sure I understand what's going on, but that's fine by me. She's upset, and she needs my support—there's nothing else to it. I sigh quietly as her sobs start to subside, glad that she's starting to calm down a little. While I wait for her to get the last of it out, I look over her shoulder at the coffins, and the souls that belong to them. I'd known that her brother fell down a few years ago, but for some reason, it never really clicked that he could be one of the six. It just seemed so far-fetched, you know? What are the odds of three humans from the same family falling down?

...

Actually, now that I think about it, the last two human souls were somewhat strange. Or at least, from what I've heard. I can't actually remember when it happened; it was before my memory. But from what I've heard...

...

Should I tell her? I ask myself, gently stroking her hair as her breathing slows. Or would it just make her feel worse?

...

I keep enough from her as it is. She deserves the truth about this, of all things.

"Hey... Buttercup?" I ask gently, coaxing her to look at me. She sniffs and wipes at her face, before giving me her attention. "I-uh... I know something about that soul."

"Yeah?" she asks softly, voice rough.

"Er, well, y'see, I don't know personally. This is just what I've heard," I add, stalling a little. "But um... I have no reason to doubt it's validity."

"Okay?" she asks, visibly bracing herself. "What is it?"

"You see that light blue soul over there?" I ask, pointing to the soul of patience. "From what I heard, that soul belonged to a little girl. She hit her head when she fell, and died instantly. There was blood all over her clothes, but her head didn't split open—it was someone else's blood. And she was carrying... she was carrying the soul of bravery. Your brother's soul."

(Y/N) doesn't seem at all surprised. She just sighs heavily, and looks at her brother's soul again.

"So... I guess what I'm saying is..." I continue, rubbing the back of my skull awkwardly. "You told me that this girl Charlotte killed your brother, right? So it makes sense that patience was Charlotte."

Her gaze shifts to the place where patience floats in silence, bobbing up and down in its container. I try to read her expression, but it's too complex for me to name easily.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this—but-uh, I dunno. Maybe knowing she's dead will-um... make moving on easier?" I'm already cringing at how that sounds, but I don't know what else to say to her.

"That poor thing," she murmurs to herself, her gaze softening.

"...What?"

(Y/N) flinches a little, and turns to look at me with a somewhat guilty expression. Then she shakes her head, and takes my hand in her own.

"Come on Sans, Frisk is going to be upset with us if we don't hurry and catch up to her," she says quickly, dismissing everything that just happened. I refuse to budge though, starting to get concerned. How can someone go from balling to steely calm in just a few seconds? I mean, I have the tear stains on my jacket to prove it happened, don't I?

"Hey, wait a sec," I say softly, pulling her back. "Don't go running off like that. What do you mean, 'poor thing?' She killed your brother, didn't she? You once told me that you'd be willing to take revenge on her and everything. What changed?"