Britney 2.0

So, here's what you missed on Unrequited...
The reader joined the New Directions as their piano player because she doesn't sing in front of people. But, there's a new girl in glee club named Marley and she could be the next big thing. And the reader is kind of falling in love with her even though she seems like she's straight. Also, the reader idolizes her brother but he didn't defend Marley's mom and now she's disappointed in him and most of glee club. He apologized to Marley to make up for it but the reader's still kind of mad at him. And that's what you missed on Unrequited!

Over the next week, Marley and I got to know each other a lot. Between glee, helping out in the cafeteria and just hanging out after school, we spent a lot of time together. I can honestly say that even though it's been a week, she's my new best friend. Nothing like my brother best friend. No, I can actually rely on Marley. And so what if I'm kind of into her? Straight people have crushes on their friends all the time and when they date someone else, it goes away.

Anyway, Marley and I have lockers across from each other. That means we can walk together in between classes and catch up. This time, we are walking to a glee meeting and it's mostly causal conversation.

"So," Marley begins timidly. I look at her skeptically, wondering why she seems to be scared to approach whatever topic she's about to bring up. "Have you talked to your brother lately?" She asks me, concerned for our relationship.

I roll my eyes and sigh simultaneously. I absolutely do not want to talk about my brother. The topic just stings and makes me want to vomit because it twists up my insides so much. But, I know she's only trying to help and I like her even more for that. "Not really," I answer, "and to be honest I don't know how you are. I mean you forgave all of them far too quickly."

She clicks her tongue and smiles at me. "Y/n, grudges don't solve anything. All they do is weigh you down. They apologized! What more could you want?" She rationalizes.

"Well," I say as I cock my head to one side, "now that you mention it, some sort of grand gesture would be nice. You know, something to acknowledge the fact that my only hero is slightly less heroic than I thought and now 9-year-old me is spinning in her grave." I finish that last part sarcastically because I know that an apology should be enough. But, some part of me just wants him to acknowledge that he hurt me. He may not have meant to, but he hurt the little girl inside of me that thought she'd always look up to her big brother and be exactly like him.

She nudges her shoulder against mine playfully and I bite my lip before smiling to her. The simplest things she does makes my heart flutter. Being near her is kind of like being high, I imagine. I feel invincible and ecstatic to face the world with her. She loops her arm through mine as I continue to hold my bag strap. I suck in a breath, trying to conserve oxygen as if I'd pass out from her gesture. "And what kind of grand gesture would you want to see from him?" She continues the conversation after a beat.

I look at her next to me, her arm looped through mine and I shrug. "He's a singer so I presume he would be able to sing me an apology. Singing always conveys a deeper emotion than regular words. I would probably talk to him then," I explain as we finally arrive at the choir room.

She unhooks her arm and goes towards the seats as I move towards the piano. She stops and looks at me. "You don't have to sit at the piano every day. We know you're not a singer," she chuckles.

I watch her mouth as she does and try to remember exactly what her lips look like when they curve around her teeth for a melodious laugh. My eyes flick back to hers and I reply, "I'd rather sit somewhere I won't be disappointed in people." I say it pointedly as I signal her to notice everyone already chatting with each other. She laughs again and throws her hands up in mock defeat as she sits down in the back row.