🔽 Destiny 🔼

Start from the beginning

The glass is tearing her muscle and lodging in her bones, but not letting her bleed out. It never will. She is meant to suffer this pain. And she is.

So, instead of trying to hide from the truth, she takes the bullet to her chest and thinks that its only some fifty odd years - less, if she does not care enough for her health - before she can see him again.

With that in mind, she sometimes mourns into his chest and sometimes, his lap. She no longer blames him. She will love him to the best of her abilities as her farewell. He will not die a tormented soul on her account.

But by some miracle of Heaven, the doctor after his check-up that month, tells them that he is no longer going to die. Her heart stops beating and her feet give out beneath her. She sinks to the floor and the tears are unstoppable as Sasuke hugs and kisses her.

She does not know what is what anymore. She cannot believe this. She doesn't. But then months pass and he is still there. And he is so much better. He hardly takes a pill per day, no more. Her torn and tattered heart finally starts to mend.

And he is so happy to see her happy again. He can finally breathe too, feeling as if he had been starved of oxygen this whole time. So, destiny wasn't so against them, after all. And he is sure she mirrors the feeling.

She has been making him his favorite meals every morning, now that he is free to eat what he likes. She is no longer taking life for granted ever again. Their future will never be planned again. No. They will live in the moment.

She is smiling and humming to herself as she walks down the road. She even answers her phone with a chirp to her voice - she only remembers doing that in high school! But she is so happy. The voice on the other line is broken though. Of a friend. And then, she goes numb.

Sasuke's car was hit by a truck and he died on the spot, he tells her.

Her phone drops on the road and is crushed beneath a passing car's wheel. Just like her. She is frozen to the spot as if her soul has been ripped out of her. She is just too numb to cry.

His casket has been lowered and she has still not cried. To give her hope, allow her to believe and then to tear it away from her. She doesn't have the ability to understand the cruelty anymore.

And then, two nights later, as she looks at herself in the mirror, wearing his shirt and pants and cloak, wrapped in his smell, something flickers in her blank green eyes and her lips stretch.

She is now rolling naked in the shattered glass by herself, laughing. She is laughing at the irony of destiny. She loves the blood oozing from her skin and she loves her torn soul. It will always remind her of him. He has not left her. He will never leave her.

Physically, her body is shaking with wracks of laughter in a sound too foreign to her ears, because since when did it sound like that? And she is laughing as she retches her guts out. She cannot seem to stop. Because of course he is not gone forever! He is right here!

Days and days pass, she cannot tell anymore. Her house never stinks of her vomit though - she keeps everything squeaky clean - because then it won't smell like him. Their best friend is appalled when he visits her, eyes wide with fear and something more primal. He knows immediately what is wrong.

Against her wishes, he carries her out, informing her along the way that she has been holed up in the house for four months. When did he visit? She cannot even recall. Eh, who cares! She still has him.

She recognizes the white of hospital and her laughter ceases. This is the place where he was first attempted to be taken away from her. She struggles out of his grip, but Naruto is unforgiving and very, very angry.