What About Now: 28.5

Začít od začátku

                I felt guilty, watching Hanna cry in front of me. Because I was meant to be here for her if she needed me. I was meant to be looking after her. Worrying about her recovery, or if she wasn’t hurt. But she’d lied to me. Well, she hadn’t told me something major, which, in my book, equalled the same thing.

                “Why is she here?” Hanna whispered, sniffing loudly. “Why does she live with you?”

                “You don’t have the right to ask me that.”

                “Oh, so… just because… I didn’t tell you I was pregnant, you won’t tell me why you have a student living with you? Another student that you're involved with a bit too much...?”

                I felt my face heating up. “It’s none of your business, Hanna. See that’s the difference between the two of us. That was our baby. It was to do with us. Kodie, she’s nothing to do with you so it’s none of your business. You can’t be in the right here. You’re in the wrong. Don’t turn this around on me, picking on something to argue with me with so the argument steers away from you. From what you did. Or didn’t do, to be clearer.”

                I heard a tap turn on in the kitchen, and I guessed Kodie was trying to occupy herself with something to do.

                “Are you…?”

                I sighed heavily, wishing I didn’t have to see Hanna’s face. Right now, I didn’t know if I had a passion of hate for her, or upset love. Were they the same thing?

                “Am I what?”

                “Are you sleeping with her?”

                I narrowed my eyes, but held my arms up in  exasperation. “No! Some people help people because they have a heart – a good one, Hanna. We aren’t all cold hearted like you.” 

                “Well if you were involved with her that would have been my business!” she shouted. “I just don’t understand why you hate me so much!”

                “Why? Because I drop to your feet and drag my fingernails on the ground behind you? I don’t think so Hanna. Not now. I’m not going to let you walk all over me. It’s different now, okay? This involved a different human being.”

                Her bottom lip trembled but I didn’t care. “You didn’t have to carry the baby!”

                “You make it sound like you were carrying the devil!”

                “That was my baby too!” she shouted, tears rolling down her face and sobs breaking in at the end of her sentence. “Didn’t you think about that, Alex? Even if I didn’t want a child, it was my baby! It was mine too…”

                Now it felt like someone was ripping out my heart. Have you ever felt that way? You’ve had so much pain for so long, being hurt so much, that you can’t take anymore? I felt like my legs were going to give way. “I—”

                “Hanna,” Kodie squeaked. I turned my head, ignoring the pain when it cricked and watched her hands holding a glass, trembling as she stared at us screaming at each other. Right now, I felt more pity for Kodie than I did Hanna. “I think it’s time you left. Alex can’t really get upset because of the accident—”

                “What do you know?” she hissed.

                Kodie frowned and her lips turned down. “I know he had swelling to the brain. On the record books at the hospital when I went to see him, I didn’t see your name written anywhere. Not even Hanna, let alone the name Franz. I saw him. And I’m looking after him. I think you should go.”