What About Now?: 9.

The graveyard was peaceful. I traced the name along the carving stone silently, closing my eyes. A twig snapped behind me and I looked up, quickly turning around.

                “It’s okay. It’s only me.” A feminine voice replied. Coming behind a tree I saw short red hair before Leidy’s face, her hands held up in defence.

                “Leidy. You scared me.”

                “I’m sorry, Alex.”

                I studied her face. Although Hanna and Leidy were twins, they’d obviously grown up over the years. Leidy’s face was fairly pikey-like, compared to Hanna who had a rounder chin and softer ears.

                “Alex?”

                “Sorry,” I apologised, realizing I was staring. “I was just thinking… Why did you cut all of your hair off, Leidy? You had such lovely long hair, it was—”

                “Just like Hanna?” Leidy interjected. “Yeah, I fancied a change. It just wasn’t me anymore.”

                Nodding my head I looked over. I cleared my throat. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

                She smirked. “I should be asking you that. It’s my father’s grave.”

                “I’m sorry.” I sighed. “That came out wrong.”

                She took a seat, leaning her head on my shoulder. “Don’t worry. With a lot on your mind it’s only natural to not concentrate on the little details, or think of what to say sometimes.”

                “You’re going to get your jeans dirty,” I pointed out.

                “That doesn’t matter.” She replied. “How’re you holding up?”

                I furrowed my eyebrows. “With what?”

                “You and Hanna,” she said immediately. “Come on, Alex. You’re now a teacher at her college. What the hell is that supposed to mean? That everything is dandy? Have you even spoken?”

                “Have you?” I retorted. “Shouldn’t you be telling each other everything? You’re sisters. You girls like to gossip.”

                “We’re not that close.” She grumbled. “Not like we used to be. A lot of things have changed since then. I found out from our mother.”

                “But you were so close…” I muttered, surprised. “And yes, we’ve talked.”

                “And?” she prompted.

                “And you can imagine it wasn’t sweet.” I replied. “Leidy, Hanna kicked me out, not the other way around. Do you think I found out what college Hanna goes to? Where she was so I could follow her? Honey, I may love your sister but I respect what she wants and kept away. It’s just a coincidence that we’re here together. I can’t help it. It was a fifty-fifty.”

                I breathed in. Leidy smelt of strawberries. “You’ve change a lot, too, Leidy. More that Hanna.”

                “It’s what happens when you’re in a house by yourself. Mom and Hanna cook, clean, quarrel and stuff but they spend time together. I don’t. So if I’m not studying I go to friends’ houses. To get out of the way. When you get bored you easily learn to occupy yourself. So I dyed my hair, cut it, stuff. Not much. I’m still myself.”