What About Now?: 26.

This felt so right. I don’t know why I had been fighting it for so long. I belonged with Hanna, as romantic, cheesy or girly as that sounded. I was in love with Hanna. It wasn’t because she was gorgeous, intelligent, or because she believed that she didn’t need anyone but me at her father’s funeral, it was so much more than that. It was because of the genuineness of my feelings.

                I could make her feel safe, and when we were along, together, I could make her happy.

                I could make her feel how no one else did. 

                That was pretty magnificent.

                The waves flared silver and I felt comfort in this moment. I felt really alive; my heart was racing with anticipation to whether someone would catch us kissing in the waves and also because of the fact we were kissing.

                Hanna’s wet fingers soaked my head when she weaved her fingers through and some droplet’s fell on my neck, but I didn’t let that stopped me and my hands continued to roam up and down Hanna’s body as the kiss went from passionate to urgent.

                Then I pulled away.

                “Hanna, I’m sorry about how things turned out.”

                “Don’t be.” She said quickly. “We all know we can’t have everything right, right?”

                I pressed my forehead against hers. “We can have whatever we want, if we want it bad enough.”

                Hanna took a sharp intake of breath and she looked into my eyes. The moonlight shining on her eyes made them look silver. But I knew, I knew that they were still those icy blue irises that had haunted me for years.

                We were attracted to the things we couldn’t have.

                And the things we thought/weren’t supposed to have.

                “Living your dream as a teacher is important to me, Alex.”

                “Trust me, being a teacher is no treat anymore.” I muttered, sighing as the water rose a little and then swiftly moved back, and the rose again in the tide.

                “Still,” she murmured, “I’ll abide by the rules for you.”

                I brushed my lips against Hanna’s again. “Rules were made to be broken.”

                Hanna shivered.

                I pulled back. “Are you cold?”

                She hesitated, biting her lip. “Sure.” She finally replied, and I smiled. She wasn’t really cold, the water had heated and become numb against our skin by not. It wasn’t cold at all.

                I grabbed her hand and tugged her towards the shore. We hadn’t gone out far, that water was at about our chests, and we could still stand up. So I dragged Hanna carefully to the beach and watched as the cars flew by each other on the road near the pier, their head and tail lights flashing past in the pitch black.

                Hanna giggled as we ran up the beach, holding hands, trying to get our belongings as quickly as possible. Now that the water no longer surrounded us the slight wind that we had forgotten about was nipping at our skin and we hurried to get our belongings.