Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter 32 - Family Matters

"We don't have to stay long, do we?" I walked into the party with Parker. I wanted to come early to avoid trashed students, but even with being an hour early, there were already drunk kids falling left and right.

"Anna, lighten up." He squeezes my hand lightly and I roll my eyes.

"Hey man!" Jake walks up to us, he and Parker immediately engaging in a short hug, and pat on the back. "The boys are starting a round of pong, you in?"

Parker hesitates and looks to me. I know for certain that one round will turn into two, and two will turn into a tie breaker three, even if there is no tie.

And he damn well knows it too.

"Aw, come on Anna, for all we know, this could be the last time we're all together." Jake playfully shoves me in the arm. He knows he's my favorite of Parker's friends, and so he knows I'll eventually give in anyway.

I sigh and toss my head back, debating in my mind. This is more than likely, the last party where everyone will be here. The least I could do is let Parker enjoy it, and attempt to enjoy it myself.

"I suppose." Part of my lip quirked into a smile, and I gave Parker one last kiss before he disappeared into the party, mouthing me a thank you.

-

Two hours later I was dizzy, knee deep in shots, and sitting around a table with Mallory, Chase, and God knows who else.

I look up to see Courtney come prancing out of the laundry room, Troy closely on her tail. I thought Troy was better than that, apparently not.

"My turn to draw." She grins.

I feel like a kid again, playing this ridiculous game.

She reaches her perfectly shaped pink nails into the blue cup and pulls a boy's name. Flipping the paper between her glossy fingertips, she reads the name.

"Who's Jason?" She looks around, and all of us look at each other, just waiting for the lucky guy to step forward.

Well, lucky depending on who he'd get put with.

"Ah, that's me. Friend of a friend." A boy steps forward and I rapidly blink.

He had this light brown hair sweeping across his forehead and the darkest brown eyes. Despite the hair, he reminded me so much of Parker.

"Aren't you delicious." Courtney murmured but we all heard it. "Let's see who the lucky girl is."

Courtney rolls her fingers through the green cup, stopping in one spot, and pulls out a girl's name.

In one quick second, she glances at the paper and looks around the circle. Her eyes land on me and I was enthralled.

"What are you waiting for?" Courtney smiles sweetly, gesturing for me to stand up.

"Let me see that." Mallory reached for the bubble gum wrapper with the scribbled pen, but Courtney swiped it away.

"You don't trust me?" Courtney looked hurt and I giggled to myself.

"It's okay Mallory." I shrug. I go to stand up but slightly fall back into the couch.

Mallory gave me a concerned look, but nonetheless, I make a poor attempt at straightening out my thoughts and wobble to a standing position. I grip the boy's arm and peer up at his enticing eyes, "Let's go." I smile.