Number Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Now, that's seriously talking crap," snapped 01 who was on a defensive stance a few feet from the door. "I don't have high opinions on Chinky-eyes, but I don't think he's the traitor-type. He's not a son of a bitch like you."

Arashi nearly gaped, but fortunately, his face was trained to be unreadable. But still, he couldn't believe that the snarky Krad defended him.

Ivan pursed his lips as he stretched his arms to the side, and with a blast of his Gift put out Arashi's raging fire. He studied 01, and for all the stories worth about the UnGifted Equation, he was surely extraordinary, almost as legendary as his reputation.

"I like your attitude," he commented offhandedly, as if they weren't criminals amidst a bloodbath, "It's kinda refreshing. Arashi here is pretty stuck-up, I'm sure you noticed."

This was their first real meeting – where 01 was alive and standing – and Ivan had been curious about Creed's most dangerous and loyal dog since he entered the organization. It was impressive that he had been able to make a stand against Ivan without any power to back him up. He had been pure effiicient killer and shrewd tactician: 01 realized that Ivan had jumped ships as soon as he entered the room, and he was able to protect that naive Rael boy despite being surrounded by a dozen of armed men. Now, all of those men were dead, and they were making themselves useful by serving as Arashi's firewood.

He returned his attention to his ex-partner. He really didn't want to fight against Arashi. If he had to beg, he would, so that he could spare battling his best friend. "You know me, Arka. I won't fight Creed without reason. Kreuz did let me... meet Mikhaela. For that, I will forever thank him. But... this is different. Creed is evil. I won't lie to you. We have known each other for years. You know you can trust me on this. Let's become the Light. Please, listen to me. You need to help me, Arka."

Arashi's anger faltered a bit. It was rare for Ivan to call him his Russian nickname, and even rarer for him to mention Mikhaela, the twin sister whom he dearly love but ultimately have to kill. Indeed, Ivan is the man closest to family that Arashi ever had; he trusted him with his life.

However, seeing the murder in Krad's eyes, remembering Faye and the torture she experienced, the impact of Ivan's betrayal surged within him.

"I don't know you," he spoke tonelessly, bracing himself from the pain of the truth. "To me, 02 is dead. You are not him."

"Arashi –"

"Back off."

Ivan was exasperated. "Why won't you listen?"

"You allowed these worms to hurt 00. I almost lost her. I can't forgive you." The grief in his eyes was palpable, his voice getting louder, harder. "I'll never forgive you. Never."

Ivan's brows shot up. "What?"

He didn't know what Arashi was saying. He didn't know that Faye was captured. This was kept secret from him by F and his minions.

"I'll come back, and when I do, I'll kill every single one of you."

Distracted by the conversation, Ivan didn't notice that Krad had already managed to open the door.

As quick-witted as ever, Arashi pulled out a gas bomb and used the screen of smoke to hide their escape.

However, that wouldn't work for an agent with Ivan's Gift. Magnetism gave him an extra-sensory perception to detect human presence based on the small neurotic waves running inside the body. He didn't need to see. His Gift was enough.

"What happened?" he shouted. "Is Faye here? Where is she?!"

He was about to forcibly bring them back when Arashi stopped by the door, and in his cold, cruel voice, told him the darkness that was hidden from him by the Light.