Chapter 26 | Gone But Never Forgotten

~~This chapter is dedicated to Tarif. *obnoxious sniffles* We miss you~~

Rollan was frowning, "I don't believe you." He simply stated. Abeke placed a calming hand on his back. "No! Why should I believe you? If you were anything like Tarif you would've saved Meilin the second she was gone. You don't care about us!" He was shouting now. I heard the pain clear in his voice when he jumped up and chucked his dagger on the ground. I stood up and motioned for Abeke to stay put.

I could help Rollan. I understand his anger. It was my anger once. I approached him quietly and perched onto a rock near him. He was staring out into the endless mountains peacefully. Except I could tell he was frowning from where I stood. "Rollan," I called softly. He whipped his head towards me. He squinted his eyes and looked the other way. "It's ok to be angry. I know you want someone to blame Meilin's disappearance, for someone to blame Tarif's death." His face changed when I mentioned Tarif.

"You don't even know him! Don't say his name casually like you have any idea of how wonderful he was!" Rollan was even more angrier now. Great. I was doing fantastic.

"You're right. I don't. But I get what it's like to feel lonely. Like the one person who cared is gone. It's hard, but you can't blame Sal. He's only trying to help us." Rollan finally calmed slightly, his features grew softer.

There was a long silence. I shifted uncomfortably. Maybe I had really messed this up. I probably shouldn't have came. When was I ever good with words? "Why couldn't he have told us sooner then?" Rollan finally said causing relief to flood through me. That was a good question though.

"You should ask him. I'm sure he has a good reason." I replied standing back up. Rollan sighed but followed me, as he kicked at the dirt defiantly. Sal looked more relieved then I was when he saw Rollan. Conor gave me a thumbs up that made me smile. I did it. I tamed the beast. Sal started to talk with Rollan so I turned away to Conor.

"Congrats," he whispered with that adorable smile he always had. "I honestly didn't think you'd calm him." I laughed and stroked Nullet soothingly. I took this extra break to experiment with my heightened hearing. Birds chirped sharply in the distance and I could hear the wind howling against the tallest trees. It was quite nice to listen to. Rain lightly pattered on the mud which had leaked across the grass creating a slippery mess. Snow had sprinkled across the hills reminding us the chilly weather ready to come.

Sal clapped his hands with a cheery smile. "All right! Everyone ready?" He didn't wait for an answer instead guiding us down the hill. Conor and I jogged to keep up. For the first time since I'd met the four fallen Nullet actually interacted with Uraza. They had tumbled onto the ground playfully. Uraza made a somewhat meow and lifted her paw up. Mud and rain had gotten her into a mood. Abeke laughed and called her over. Uraza looked at Abeke and I'm sure if she could talk she would be complaining.

Abeke and I started a conversation while Rollan began to tease Conor and enlighten us with his jokes.    Now that we were back on the move again I thought of Ryker. If only I could communicate with him easier. "Sal said we're going to sneak in to get Meilin and then plan an attack. He says he can get some extra greencloaks to help."

"Sounds like a death trip." I made a face and chuckled at Abeke's reaction. Rollan suddenly tripped on a rock and we all started to laugh loudly. He gave us each a glare and dramatically wiped his cloak off. The rock he tripped on was larger than usual. An odd blue-grey color as well. I bent down and dusted away the dirt. A small Belenese symbol was engraved in dark blue into the giant rock. "We're almost there!" I called out pointing the symbol out to Sal. He nodded in approval and examined the mark for himself.

I couldn't wait to get there and finish this nasty mission. The sooner we get this done the sooner I can find Ryker. I had so many questions for him. I tried to remember the short moments I had with him. His hair matched mine and was messily sprawled on his head. He had a lot of armor on. His face looked so near identical to mine. Anyone could tell we were twins.

Conor bent down next to Sal and they both pointed at the weird symbol and suggested things. "Do you think they have hybrid spirit animals?" Conor wondered with amaze, Briggan gave him an offended look. "I'm just curious..." Conor said innocently giving Briggan a pat. I was leaned against a tree waiting to continue.

After the long day came to an end we were all given some dried meat and stale bread. "Yum." Rollan grimaced showing no enthusiasm. "If only us great saviors were to be given something besides this." Rollan held up a brown piece of meat with a scowl. Essix looked quite smug with her freshly caught critter. I raised my eyebrows in amusement.

As we watched the sun set and threw around stories I noticed Rollan was being quiet. He was looking off into the sunset with a sad face and snapping sticks. That look he had, it felt familiar. "I know you miss him." I whispered softly. Rollan didn't look shocked he just continued to snap sticks over and over again. "I wish I met him." Silence. "I'm not lying to you." I tried to turn to face Rollan, but I couldn't get myself to.

Rollan frowned for a second. "He would've liked you." Rollan finally said. "He helped me. He could've helped you." I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. The setting sun felt nice on my cheeks.

I thought about that. I know Rollan had been different before this all started. I had been different. I'm sure I've changed. All these new people, I've managed to open up to. More than I ever had before. It's strange how similar Rollan and I were. I'm glad he's opened up to me. A new friend that actually understands everything.

I nudged him with my shoulder, "Ahh, we're both lost causes. Aren't we?" He smiled and we both laughed. His dark hair matched the dirt covering his clothes. I teased him about it and he shot me back another quick remark.

We both started to forget the things that brought us down each passing day. In that moment the scars had faded and the memories lost. Maybe not for long. But for long enough.

————————

————————

Oof. This is really rough. I couldn't find any inspiration. The end wasn't that bad, but I wrote this all in different sessions. So...it is what it is? Is it bad that I'm so ready for this book to be over so I can throw you my ending...because...I CANT WAIT :) I'm going to read the SA series over again. Hopefully I can get some inspiration and not publish sh*t like this. I apologize for the wait. I think this book is giving me major writers block.