Chapter 10 | Love and Pain

It felt like he was the first person to ever care for me.

2 hours suddenly felt a lot longer. I was sprawled on the floor with Nullet flopped over on his back. I felt something pointy poke my thigh. I sat up spinning around.

Conor watched me seeming to be confused. I sighed realizing it was only my sword. I carefully pulled it from my belt and placed it on the floor several feet away with a clank.

Nullet raised his head at the noise. "It's ok," I patted his belly. "Even if there was an attack we wouldn't be aloud to stop it. " I scoffed. Nullet grunted.

Then the silence was interrupted by approaching footsteps. I sat up, Meilin as well. Alia. "I can't believe it. They agreed." She looked astonished.

"We can go?" Abeke asked. Uraza lifted her paw, licking it.

She nodded, "but you need to be joined by Sal and a group of Greencloaks."

"When do we leave?" Meilin asked gripping her staff.

I turned to Alia, "2 days." She said unable to look us in the eye. She seemed upset that we were leaving.

"Rollan will be able to join you, but for now he is resting. This poison is very dangerous, he's lucky we found him when we did." Alia said her tone was dead serious. "I-need to go..." she stuttered backing up.

"I'm heading to the library. See if I can find anything about this mysterious enemy." Meilin exclaimed already walking towards the door.

"I'll join you." I said following her. We both stopped at the door. She glared at me, but turned her gaze to Conor quickly.

"I'm going to see if I can learn anything about this poison, we'll meet in the library." Conor said.

"I'm going with you." Abeke added.

We all went our separate ways. I wanted to go to the library because if we can find anything about this enemy we can figure out how to stop them without as much violence.

I followed Meilin, who proudly led the way. She went through numerous doors and down several staircases until we reached the library.

It seems she's been here before because without hesitation she continued forwards. She stopped at a shelf labeled: Known Enemies

The books on that shelf were quite thick, all a dark neutral color. I reached for a black leathery book. I had to blow on the cover because of all the dust. In thick silver swirly words it read:

Conquerors

I scoffed, the Greencloaks have had quite a past with them. The pages looked almost ancient. Each page had a fresh layer of dust, all a yellow color with tears on the edges.

I began to read, but after the first couple pages I realized how quiet it was. I closed the book with a smack. Meilin wasn't beside me. I searched the library but it seemed to be empty.

Then I felt someone pull my shoulder. My heart started racing, I immediately reached for my sword but quickly remembered I had left it in the lounge. I tried to think of how I should knock this person down. But my brain stopped me.

If someone was trying to hurt me Nullet would have done something. I could feel his presence in the room leaving me comfort. I eased my shoulders allowing the person to swing me around.

"If Olvan doesn't recognize this enemy then obviously it wouldn't be under known enemies." Meilin said annoyed. I felt my cheeks redden and grow hot.

She led me to an unlabeled shelf. I waited for her this time, she reached for a book flipping through it. Then I scanned the shelf, these books had very strange titles. Such things I couldn't pronounce.

We flipped through several books, every 2 minutes my hair brushing in my face. The 5th time I grunted in annoyance. Meilin sighed and handed me a band to tie my hair with. "Thanks" I mumble pulling my hair into a high bun.

It felt nice having my hair up. Nullet nudged my arm, when I turned to him he stared at the door. "Someone's coming," I whispered to Meilin, we both turned to the door.

Conor and Abeke came jogging in, "We know where the poison came from." Conor shouted panting. "The type of poison Rollan has, must've been injected in his food. Meaning someone from Greenhaven has injected it."

"Also according to Olvan he thinks this poison could've come from the Belenese." Abeke added.

I scanned the shelf, A dark evergreen book with gold swirly words was the one labeled: Belenese

"This is it." I say holding the heavy book up, pleased I had found it first. Meilin grunted taking it from me.

Just like the Conqueror book this one was dusty. But these pages were even more dirty and ripped. Conor, Abeke, and I peered over Meilin's shoulder reading the pages.

Meilin shut it all of a sudden making Conor jump. "We know where to go. I'll search into this tonight." She said holding up the book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cool breeze felt good against the back of my neck. And the bird's tweets filled the air with music. I liked to sit out here with Nullet. It was calming.

Tomorrow we were to leave for Amaya. I was nervous. Who wouldn't be? But I was glad Nullet was here to join the journey.

I smiled to Nullet, "thanks, for being here with me. I've never been good with people especially because of what happened when I was young," My eyes began to water, when I thought of my painful childhood.

"but when I'm with you I feel so comfortable." I took a shaky breath. "It feels so right. I love you buddy." I smiled squeezing his large body. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. It felt like he was the first person to ever care for me.

He only looked back with this wise determined look. As if he had been through so much. And he had. I couldn't imagine the stuff he's seen.

Nullet stared at me as if he could see the inside of my heart. As if he knew every tear I ever shed. Perhaps he did. But all he did was lower his head to my forearm.

And with a sharp sting he was gone. A tattoo of a pouncing white tiger appeared. It started at my forearm all the way to the top of my shoulder.

I smiled. Yes. This felt right.