Chapter 2 | Ready or Not

"Ready?"
No. No I was not. But it's not like I have a choice.

I was awoken by the morning light shining through the door less doorway. I reached for the blanket to cover my eyes. But I knew I was already awake. I stood up and reached for my ripped robes in the corner. I patted my hair down. I wanted to try and look decent.

I looked around the village. Big muscly men carrying
heavy boxes, women leading little children to the market to go trade food, and children were laughing and chasing each other around. I looked for Wren, he didn't seem to be sitting on the big rock, his usual spot. 

He must be still asleep.

I thought. Suddenly I heard a loud voice above the rest. "The Nectar Ceremony shall be held at noon" A man in a uniform said. "Make sure to arrive at the Golden Bridge Tower" He climbed onto his horse and rode away. 

My stomach felt queasy at the thought. "Hey!" I turned around quickly. "Jumpy much?" She grinned. I hugged her. She seemed almost surprised. Trust me I was not a hugger.

"Where have you been?" I asked. Hazel lived with her mom in a cottage far down the path. Her mom is very kind, she let me stay at there cottage several times.

Her expression changed from a smile to an almost lost look. "Are you excited?" She asked me. I gave her a look. She never answered my question. I haven't seen her in months. I decided to leave it. "For what?" I asked. The wind blew sending a bag and a poster swirling. The poster landed on the cobble path next to our feet.

"That" Hazel said eyeing the poster. I looked it over. A picture of a bottle with some liquid in it was displayed across the front. Near the bottom it read:

Come all, come all, to the Nectar Ceremony held at the Golden Bridge Tower! All 11 year olds will have the once in a lifetime chance to drink the nectar.

I was not excited. I knew there was no way I could summon a Spirit Animal. The nectar ceremony was just a reminder. "No" I mumbled almost to quiet to hear. This time she gave me the look. She knew I didn't expect much. We've been talking about this for months.

"The four fallen were summoned by normal people like you." I sighed. "There's a chance." She nudged me. Just then I felt an elbow in my ribs.

"Move over!" An elderly woman yelled. We were standing in the middle of the path. She was carrying a sac. Most likely full of fruits to sell.

"Sorry!" Hazel said and grabbed my arm pulling me to the side. "Come on!" She led me towards her cottage. When we entered I could immediately smell warm bread. My stomach growled.

"Olivia!" Hazel's mom said a smile on her face. She wrapped me in a warm hug. I smiled. She smelled like flour and jam. "I'm sorry Olivia there was only enough for Hazel, me, and her brother." She said noticing me eyeing the empty pan. I could understand.

"No, no that's fine." I said. Even though my stomach thought otherwise. The cottage was relatively small but enough room for 3. Hazel was already grabbing a comb to use on my hair.

We only spent an hour at Hazel's cottage. She had managed to brush out my hair and had offered me a towel to wash my face. She also had sewn up the bigger holes in my robe. I had just said bye to Hazels mom.

Hazel and I were heading to the Golden Bridge Tower. It was a long walk and my feet were already sore.

"Have you seen Wren?" I asked. It was unusual of him to not be around.

"No" she said but she seemed distracted. She was watching the trees as we walked by. I had put a shard of glass in my boot just in case here were any mishaps. I always carried a shard of glass around.

We kept on walking until the trees started to clear up. A fenced in area came into view. A platform also stood. People were lined up around the corner.

We snuck ahead of everyone and stood in front of another man with a uniform. "Name?" He asked. His voice was stern. He didn't seem like someone you wanted to mess with.

"Olivia." I said trying to peek at the papers. He scanned the list. His expression changed.

"You don't seem to be on here." He said scanning the list once more. He flipped the page. "Ah, Olivia. Your  name was at the bottom of the list." I frowned. What did that mean? He shuffled to the side allowing us through. I nodded and stepped through. Hazel followed. You were allowed 2 guests. But Wren hadn't showed.

We sat down on the chairs lined up. My heart started to race.

A woman in a red robe came up to me. "Olivia?" She asked. I nodded. "Follow me." I gave Hazel one last look. She gave me back a hopeful look. I followed the lady jogging to keep up.

"Here" she sat me down next to several other kids. They all stared at me like I had 2 heads. I turned in the opposite direction.

I can't wait for this to be over.

I thought. The first kid disappeared onto the stage. I couldn't see him, but I heard groans after several minutes. He hadn't summoned a spirit animal. Then the next kid went. After what felt like hours, I noticed how short the line was.

Then maybe 10 minutes later the same woman came up to me. "Ready?" She asked. No. No I was not. But it's not like I have a choice.

Ok. So I might do a little part at the beginning of every chapter repeating something from the chapter. I'm not sure. If you like this story so far please leave a comment. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. Also I wasn't a big fan of this chapter it was kind of neutral, but the next chapter will be more enjoyable. Hopefully.
- K <3