Chapter 22 | A Single Arrow

I think maybe I finally took it all in. I finally understood that the past is the past.

I immediately turned around to see Meilin's face. Her eyes were open wide. I couldn't tell if she was upset, but I knew this must be tough for her. I had to admit, Zhong was beautiful. The trees had small pink blossoms on the end, and the air smelled of many sweet citruses. The roads had cobble paths, I couldn't wait to start exploring.

We said our Goodbyes to Gaft, this was the last time he would be taking us by boat. Then we were off, Sal told Meilin he could take care of the Belenese Book. Meilin nodded, her eyes still focused on the ground. I awkwardly shuffled behind Meilin, unsure of what to say.

"It's ok Olivia, I don't bite." She said when she noticed I was walking several feet behind her. I smiled and took longer steps, catching up with Meilin.

"Are you sure?"

She smiled in reply, her eyes finally began to scan her surroundings once again. Nullet was striding behind me, his nose lifted slightly into the sky sniffing the unique smells. This time the key was on a cliff, Sal informed us. I couldn't wait to get all 3 keys and finally meet the Belenese. It'll be such a relief to get this done.

We walked quietly, few words were spoken. The sun continued to rise until the sky was a very light blue. I raised my head and took a deep breath, letting the nature enter me. I feel like after all this time I was finally used to this whole 'journey'

"Hey Lady Panda, you feel at home yet?" Rollan grinned nudging Meilin's shoulder. She rolled her eyes, a small smile forced onto her face. I knew he was joking around but Meilin seemed almost hurt. After that he kept mostly quiet, attempting to crack a joke every now and again.

The awkwardness left when we entered the main towns in Zhong. Meilin actually smiled, a genuine real, smile. "These shops," Meilin pointed to the many small buildings and shacks. "my father used to take me shopping here." Her eyes twinkled as they brushed along the people. I smiled, it was good to see Meilin happy.

We continued to walk for a long while. Sal finally nodded towards the side, allowing us a break. We sat down with several grunts. I began to rub my feet, which were sore from walking. It was suddenly surprising not feeling that pang of pain from my foot.

Rollan grabbed the water and took a long sip before handing it to Conor. I turned to Abeke, she was watching the people rush by. "Zhong is beautiful, In Nilo we never had such small details." Abeke smiled glancing around the street.

I nodded, "I get it, in Eura it is pretty plain. Aside from the trees." Nullet kept glaring at people who passed by, they gasped and edged away. Uraza did the same her tail twitching as she sprawled across the ground.

"Stop it Nullet," I swatted Nullet's ears in which he spun towards me with a glare of his own. "This cliff will definitely be a long climb, Olivia will you be ok?" I nodded my cheeks red.

Everyone began quiet chatter which filled in the empty quiet. Sal nodded scanning everyone. "No secrets right?" He asked examining everyone closely. Everyone nodded almost ignoring him. It was just the 6 of us now, the other Greencloaks left with Gaft.

Briggan came trotting over to me with a birch branch in his mouth. I made a puzzled face, and Nullet cocked his head. Conor chuckled, "He wants you to throw it." I sighed a small smile appeared on my face and reached for the stick. Briggan's tail began to wag and he perked his head up in excitement. It was funny how he acted like a puppy sometimes.

Meilin seemed to be very quiet, but just as well wanted to leave. Sal finally motioned for us to start getting going. Abeke whispered something to Uraza, and patted her back. Nullet was already creeping around, turning back to me as if wondering if I was coming.