Chapter 12 | Old Friends

"Remember me?"

Everything happened so fast. I pulled my sword out, Nullet woke up sensing the terror in me. I scanned the area around me, it was so dark. Then I saw 3 figures appear from behind trees.

"Wake up!" I whisper-shouted. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan all sat up. "We're under attack!" I shouted. More Greencloaks woke up, Sal included.

"What's happening?!" Sal shouted. I pointed to the figures, who now noticed we were awake. Everyone stood up taking out weapons, releasing Spirit Animals.

Then the figures charged. There were much more than 3. We were outnumbered. Nullet stood in front of me protectively.

Battle was here. These people all wore dark navy blue cloaks. Most of them were tall and well built. A big husky man charged towards me.

I glanced at Rollan, he had a grin on his face as he sliced a Man's arm with his dagger. I turned back towards the man charging at me. I spun my sword around my fingers gracefully.

"This should be easy" The man grumbled. I smirked, he had no idea. He lunged first, in that split second I learned he was counting on his strength. So I needed to use technique.

I dropped flat to the ground and rolled backwards, Nullet aiding me agile. He didn't expect to miss, leaving him astonished, giving me enough time to swing my sword into his thigh.

The man yelped in pain clutching his thigh. I turned to Sal, he had his bear out who stood strong. Everyone was fighting against one or more opponents.

2 men in dark blue cloaks charged at me. I prepared for them, holding my sword high. I sensed Nullet nearby. Probably fighting someone's spirit animal.

One of the men was shorter, the other thicker. The shorter man swung an axe towards me but I managed to duck just in time. The thicker man held 2 daggers whipping them towards me.

I blocked them with my sword. My muscles burned as I pushed against his daggers as hard as I could. I heard a clank, I braced myself for pain but realized I wasn't injured.

He must've knocked my sword from my grip. My sword was on the ground far out of my reach. I cursed under my breath, slowly backing away from the 2 men.

Then I remembered my dagger. I wedged my fingers into my boot searching for the dagger. I pulled it out right before the shorter man could hit me.

Since he was close enough, I sliced his stomach. He screamed falling backwards. The other man growled when he saw his partner fell.

Dropping his weapon he held only a closed fist. He angrily threw a punch, but I easily blocked it. He threw another, I admit he was quick. Too quick.

The punch landed on my jaw. I winced, my hand immediately reaching for my jaw. You're fine. I told myself.

I used my foot to kick him in the stomach, buying me enough time to slice his shoulder. Inside it felt wrong. Injuring so many people. But somewhere in me it felt right. I felt proud.

My mom would be proud to see how well I can fight. If she were here. I stood up panting. Where was my sword? There were many fallen bloody swords all over the ground. But I saw mine, the one with the dark teal handle.

I sighed in relief reaching for it. As soon as I got my sword more people in cloaks charged at me. I groaned with pure exhaustion.

I just want to sleep. This time it was a woman. I felt terrible. This woman was young. I couldn't fight her. But she showed no mercy drawing her bow.

I winced as my jaw began to throb. An arrow from her bow spun through the air straight for my face. I blocked it with my sword, feeling Nullet's energy rage through me.

Although the arrow didn't get through my sword, it was powerful enough to knock my sword clean from my hands. When I reached for my backup dagger I felt nothing.

I must've dropped it somewhere. I searched frantically for a weapon, anything. Abeke was the only one nearby. She smiled tossing me her bow. I nodded appreciatively.

I wasn't as good as Abeke with a bow, but I was good enough. Luckily the woman stayed back drawing her bow yet again. I nocked an arrow and it went flying. She had nocked an arrow as well.

They collided through each other, splitting through the middle. I gasped, as well as the young woman. But I quickly refocused.

She was extremely quick already shooting an arrow through the air. I ducked nocking an arrow. She tried to move to the right but banged into someone, the arrow entering her shoulder.

I squeezed my eyes shut and lightly touched my jaw. I glanced at my fingers. No blood. Good. Nothing serious. Meilin was easily beating a man with a lizard.

Several more fights later, I leaned against a tree. The army had thinned down to almost nothing. Although they had the advantage, we fought hard. Conor was finishing off a woman with a bird, who Essix was attacking.

"How was your first 'real' fight." Rollan asked shoving his dagger into a man's side. I had my sword back, using it to dodge an arrow.

"I can barely stay awake," I grumbled swinging my sword tiredly. Rollan patted my shoulder.

"You'll make it. Trust me." He grinned returning to his battle.

I straightened my tired back squinting into the night. Another figure came towards me. This time I had the nerve to go towards this figure.

When I approached this figure I learned she was a young girl, about my age. She had a Red Fox fighting alongside her. Nullet stood in front of me a deep threatening growl from his throat.

Something about her was familiar, but I couldn't place it. The red hair, the braid. She gave me a freakish smile and whipped her axe towards me so fast, I was almost chopped in half.

It was inhumanly fast. I gave her a questioning look, but there was no return, only another attempted hit. "Remember me?" She smirked, an evil grin on her face.

Then I remembered. Elra. The girl who ate lunch with me so long ago. The girl who I thought was my friend.

"I'm afraid it's your time." She said swinging her axe an inch away from my neck. "Goodbye Olivia."

Elra first appeared in Chapter 6 briefly. I would suggest going back if you don't remember her. Hope you're enjoying the story.

-K <3