Chapter 1

A boy walked through the streets of Manhattan. The cold breeze of the early spring was enough for him to wear a thin jacket, even with the sun shining weakly.

He was daydreaming. Thinking about adventures and feats, about dragons and knights. He may not be able to play the hero, to save lives, but he still can dream.

People may think it's a bit childish. How an 11 years old boy keeps dreaming about worlds of fantasy? But, of course, he didn't care. The world would be really boring if only reality existed.

The boy's fantasies stopped when he found himself in front of a door. The door leaded to his –or his mother's– apartment.

The boy took a deep breath, seeing that there was no other choice than to step inside. He opened slowly the door, hoping that it didn't do any noise.

The smell of alcohol hit him in the face. The odour was faint and that worried him, it meant that he was getting used to it.

Inside, nothing was out of place. The kitchen was tidy, the bathroom seemed clean enough and the boy's walrus of a father was sleeping in the couch, beer in hand and chips over the sofa.

Yes, father. The boy's mother had, somehow, fallen in love with him. Neither attractive nor charismatic, Gabe Ugliano had somehow married Sally Jackson, an amazing and caring woman who deserved the world and a bit more.

The boy couldn't help but feel guilty. There was no way his parents could have ended together other than because his mother had gotten pregnant.

He wasn't entirely sure of this, all the times he had questioned his mother she had avoided to give a straight answer. But, what other reason there could be to marry a man like him? She had sacrificed her own freedom so he could have a somehow happy household, even if it wasn't in the end.

The boy walked towards his room, crossing the living room as silent as he could. A drunken walrus isn't the merriest way to welcome someone to his own home.

His room wasn't exactly what you call a mess. Of course, it wasn't tidy either. The apartment was small enough to be forced to share his room with his father, who used it as an office.

So, all the things of his father were scattered over the room. Over his bed, the floor, everywhere except his desk.

He sighed. This was neither new nor unexpected, but he still hoped that someday this would be clean. Leaving his bag inside the room, he walked out of the apartment. He needed a break.

He was tired. Tired of coming home just to be greeted with the smell of alcohol. Just to be greeted by the sound of his father drunk snore coming from the couch. He was tired to be worrying his mother when he was alone at home with Gabe. Just tired.

So, he left.

He wasn't running away. He could never do this to his mother. He just had to go for a walk, clear his mind. Of course, he knew that when he came back home he would be forced to face a very awake, very mad and, most likely, a very drunken Gabe.

However, this didn't stop him from taking some time alone.

So, he walked. He wandered around, back to his daydreaming. Outside reality, he could kill dragons and monsters. In his mind, he could save princesses, who would most likely smack his head the moment he opened his mouth.

Unintentionally, his feet led him to Central Park.

He liked to come here when he felt overwhelmed. Central Park was a nice place to be and, if you knew where to look, you could find some private spots were spend time alone. He had a favourite, though.