Chapter 13~The Bloodbath

My muscles acted on instinct when the gong rang, dashing for the golden cone, my eyes focused on the treasured weapons held in it. I was a fast runner, I won all the races at school long and short runs. My thin but healthy frame was built for this. I got to the cornucopia first and grabbed a fistful of knives shoving some into my jacket pocket. I grabbed two packs and whirled around just in time to miss the arrow fired at me from Rebecca on the other side of the cornucopia. Another arrow came whizzing at me and I deflected it with my knife. Brian came charging at me with a sword but was tripped by Henry then stepped over by Tessa. 

"Let's go, Alice!" Tessa shouted grabbing a bag off my sagging shoulders tossing it to Henry. Just as we were about to break away to the icy mountain Jake flew in front of us shoving Henry to the ground and taking a swing at me with his sword. I dodged in surprise and as he went for another go I elbowed him in the face sending him down. After gasping in pain at his bleeding nose Jake swung at me again which I deflected with my knife. The impact caused sparks to fly. Jake blinked in surprise and backed away a bit. I glared at him and sprinted after Tessa and Henry who had already started on the mountain. 

The thick snow covered trees provided great protection against the whizzing arrows being fired at us. One arrow hit the tree right beside me briefly cutting my ear. I gasped and tenderly held my bleeding ear that was stinging with pain. But pain was going to be my clingy neighbor here in the arena that I'll just have to deal with him. 

We ran up the mountain for hours, panting and exhausted. The sky was darkening by the time the first cannon fired. 1. 2. 3... 11...12. 12 dead on the first day. I was already halfway through the games. 

And I'm going to make it through the other half. I'm going to win I thought.

Then I looked towards my friends Tessa and Henry. How could I ever kill them? Or even watch them die. I would definitely save them if they were in danger. 

It's only the first day, for now, the three of us can live I thought. I pulled out 2 sleeping bags from the packs I retrieved and handed one of them to Tessa and Henry to share. I snuggled into the bag shivering slightly and staring at the beautiful stars glistening like diamonds in the sky. It reminded me of my astronomy classes with Angela. Grandpa said it was stupid, but I had a strong fondness for stars. 

Day 1 down.

With that last thought, I snuggled deeper into the sleeping back and dozed off into sleep. My dreams were the only places I could be happy in this place. I heard Tessa say "Goodnight Alice" just before I fell into the world of dreams.