Epilogue~Black Rose

It had been 2 weeks since I had won the Capitol Games and was sent "home" to a small but luxurious apartment in the new Capitol. The announcement that was made yesterday still rang in my head tauntingly in my head as I remembered Katniss Everdeen's smug words rang through my mind.

"As punishment for Alice's slightly rebellious behavior with the symbol of the black rose, we punish the Capitol citizens in holding a capitol game annually until the population of young capitol citizens becomes extinct," Katniss said over the microphone. What was wrong with that woman? First of all, you can't blame a new generation for something their grandparent's had done. Second of all, couldn't she see that things were just going in circles? First, the Capitol punishes the districts, now the districts. This was going to go on forever. That woman was such an idiot. Also, this was genocide. I sighed as I placed another bouquet of black roses by the window. Over the past days, I had busied myself with decorating my apartment with all black roses as a grievance to the people I had killed in the arena and also to satisfy my rebellious side. My home was now covered with black rose paintings, flowers, and even pillows with covers of black roses. My black rose pin was in a safe bulletproof glass box that was pinned to my bedroom wall. 

My huge flat screen TV flashed on as a required message was being broadcasted. This time it was Peeta Mellark, his face filled with panic. I rushed to the TV because for the past weeks after the Capitol Games, the faces of the Rebels had been nothing but smug.

"I have an important tragic announcement. Male tribute of rank 2, Jake Anderson, previously deemed dead has escaped the Capitol, in the process killing 8 innocent people. It has been proven that Anderson did not die, he was simply in a coma from losing a handful of brain cells during his head crash. Now he has recovered and awoken, he is currently on the run, but don't fret citizens! The hovercrafts are currently on the lookout for him! If you find him, please kill him then turn his body in. The victory tour for Alice Snow will go as planned! Stay tuned for news" Peeta rushed before the screen shut. I gasped before dashing to the front door and slipping on a coat.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Angela who was now my roommate yelled after me as she rushed to catch up. 

"I'm going to find my friend before the rebels do," I said defiantly before slamming the door shut and storming out onto the roads. I was hopeful, but at the same time, I feared that I would be executed for rebelling. Something my grandfather said rang in my head.

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear"

END OF BOOK ONE