Chapter 11~The Interview

My mood changed from sad anger to nervousness as Rebecca was called up for the interview. Each Interview was only 3 minutes long, that meant 3 minutes of Rebecca, 3 minutes of Brian, and then it was my turn. I heard the laughter of the crowd from above us and knew that Rebecca had already stolen the spotlight. Less than 6 minutes and I was displaying myself to all of the Capitol, and possibly Panem. After a bit, there was a thundering clapping noise and Brian was escorted to the stage shortly after. My eyes landed on Jake for a second to see he was just as nervous. Surprisingly that made me feel more confident, it was as if excelling Jake was all that mattered. A dull clapping lets me know that at least I wasn't the only one who was going to fail at the Interview. 

"Alice Snow" the attendance lady called out and I stood up wiping my sweaty hands the best I could on my dress before following the stage workers to the backstage. The interviewer for The Capitol Games was Peeta Mellark as he was deemed the most kind of the gamekeepers. 

I arrived just in time to hear Peeta Mellark say, "Now for our very special guest, welcome the female tribute of rank 2. Alice Snow!" Peeta said glancing to where I hid behind in the curtain gesturing for me to come out. I sucked in a deep breath reminding myself that I looked amazing before stepping out onto the stage. The crowd cheered and clapped as I walked as model-like as I could across the stage. My dress reflected the lights immediately making me shine and dazzle like a star. I sat down in the interview chair and arranged myself to sit in a good posture. 

"Hello Alice, I'm Peeta and I'll be your interviewer today," he said smiling and shaking my hand.  

"It's my pleasure" I responded sweetly, my jaw hurting from fake smiling so hard. 

Peeta smiled genuinely and asked the first question, "So, how do you feel about the new Panem Alice? Quite a change from your past I believe". 

I grinned falsely, "It's great! A lot more civil and calm compared to my grandfather's reign". my teeth clenched in irritation.

Peeta smiled, "I'm glad you enjoy it. Katniss and I put a lot of effort in into it" then he asks the next question, "So you are rank 2! How do you feel being the in the second best rank?".

I shrugged, "I'm very surprised," I said unconfidently, then added, "but at the same time, I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get rank 1".

Peeta laughed and smiled, "Rank 2 is already an extremely hard rank to get for a 14-year-old, you should be proud".

I smiled, "I am proud, and I have to thank Katniss for this amazing position," I said my words dripping with sarcasm. 

My emotions were already very on edge but the next question was the last straw.

"We were all very shocked on the night of the tribute parade. We have no idea how such an unfortunate event could have occurred?" Peeta asked, his face showed that he genuinely did not know what happened. My mind flashed back to the night and I glanced up towards the balcony to see Katniss smirking. My fists curled up and I turned back towards Peeta my smile so fake it was almost scary.

"Well, I'm sure your dear wife Katniss Everdeen could explain why" I hissed which surprised Peeta. The crowd gasped and looked up towards Katniss who was glaring at me. 

"What do you mean?" a person in the crowd asked.

"Well," I said smiling wickedly, "I guess it's time to reveal the truth. You see-". Before I could even finish the sentence I was pushed by Peeta out of the way before the sparkling glass chandelier came crashing down to the stage aiming directly at me. The crowd screamed in horror and started panicking and running into each other. Peeta leaped out of the way just in time but was still cut badly from flying shards. A few glass pieces flew towards me, cutting my hands and legs. One shard cut me in the cheek. The pain was unbearable and I started seeing bits of black. I was about to faint when I felt someone grab my wrist and yank me upwards. 

It was Enobaria and Angela, "We have to go right now!" Angela yelled over the screaming frantic crowd. I was yanked and pulled through the hallways half-conscious by Enobaria closely followed by Angela. 

"The Interviews have been canceled," a voice that sounded fairly similar to Annie Cresta's said over the intercom. "I repeat the Interviews are canceled".

Finally, I lost my ability to walk and collapsed on the floor. Enobaria tried to lift me up but ended up having to set me down because of the cut on her arm from pushing through the glass debris. Angela wasn't strong enough to carry me so the two ended up dragging me across the floor. 

Briefly, I remembered hearing a voice that said, "Here I got her", then I was picked up off the ground by a pair of strong arms. My eyes closed as the pain turned from torture to numbness. I was carried into a white room filled with white beds and tables. I was set down on a bed then immediately fussed over by my prep team who had just arrived. 

"Someone get a doctor!" I heard Angela yell, a man wearing a white outfit and mask hovered over me and injected something into my arm. As soon as the liquid entered my arm the wooziness in my head became overwhelming and I blacked out, my hands reaching out to hang on to my consciousness that I soon lost. The last thing I saw was the pitiful blue eyes of Jake Anderson looking into mine.